Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

EPDM vs. TPO Roofing

Need to have a new roof applied to my low slope/ flat in one area roof of rear shed dormer of Cape style house and attached garage addition. Has 25 yr. old epdm on it now and was planning to replace w/ the same. One roofer suggested using TPO instead due to more durability, better R value, sun relective/cooler in summer factor and ability to tolerate slight ponding better than EPDM. Any thoughts or recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks.

gordieax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 16

EPDM vs. TPO Roofing

Post up a picture of the home and the area in question.

TPO is a good alternative but I either system installed properly will work just fine.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:38 PM   #3
Doing This Way Too Long

EPDM vs. TPO Roofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordieax View Post
One roofer suggested using TPO instead due to more durability, better R value, sun relective/cooler in summer factor and ability to tolerate slight ponding better than EPDM. Any thoughts or recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks.
Except no membrane has any R-value, epdm withstands ponding better than tpo and reflectivity is fine until that sun bakes the tpo prematurely. Normally the only "advantage" tpo has is it's cheaper but in this case it can't even claim that.

I'm guessing this roofer installs a lot of tpo
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
Exterior Construction

EPDM vs. TPO Roofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
Except no membrane has any R-value
Missed that part...

If we are measuring membrane R-Value...we are in trouble.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 20

EPDM vs. TPO Roofing

Anyway to reframe it so there is a slope?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:48 AM   #6

EPDM vs. TPO Roofing

Thanks for the responses. I tried but was unable to post a pic of the roof.??
From the sound of it, the experienced roofers seem to prefer the epdm.
In fact, the epdm is less expensive than the TPO but cost is not my sole concern here. The reflectivity of the TPO seemed like an opportunity to lower the 2nd floor temp. on hot summer days. I do realize that neither have R value. We'll also be installing sloped iso board to enhance positive drainage of the flat area of the roof into the end gutter to eliminate/minimize the ponding.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #7

EPDM vs. TPO Roofing

EPDM is a far superior product. If you compare just the sheets, the EPDM material can lay out in the sun and last 50 years. TPO will not, no way, no how. Although not recommended, EPDM has no adverse affects to ponding water. TPO being better is untrue.

I would recommend for residential work only use 60 mil thickness for durability, (branches - debris that may fall on roof), fully adhered only, and limit seams and flashings. I use 20 foot wide sheets when needed to eliminate seams. Remember with the reflectivity and the EPDM, you may get the benefit in the winter of it helping to warm the space below. (Depending on your construction) But if the black EPDM bothers you, there are coatings that can be applied to get a reflective surface.

1/4" dens-deck is a great insulation board to use also. Gives a great firm surface with increased fire protection with a fully adhered system.
roofnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #8
STAFF

Rewards Points: 4

EPDM vs. TPO Roofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofnron View Post
EPDM is a far superior product. If you compare just the sheets, the EPDM material can lay out in the sun and last 50 years. TPO will not, no way, no how. Although not recommended, EPDM has no adverse affects to ponding water. TPO being better is untrue.

I would recommend for residential work only use 60 mil thickness for durability, (branches - debris that may fall on roof), fully adhered only, and limit seams and flashings. I use 20 foot wide sheets when needed to eliminate seams. Remember with the reflectivity and the EPDM, you may get the benefit in the winter of it helping to warm the space below. (Depending on your construction) But if the black EPDM bothers you, there are coatings that can be applied to get a reflective surface.

1/4" dens-deck is a great insulation board to use also. Gives a great firm surface with increased fire protection with a fully adhered system.
I'm not trying to be a butt here but unless they are making EPDM differently in the last 10 years, it surely will not last 50 years. 10 years and my EPDM roof is shot. I have a friend who had leaks in his EPDM roof just 3 years after it was installed, they told him the acid rain ate pin holes in it. I installed a Gaco Roof coating on my roof and it is looks great, reflects heat and will stand up to ponding water with no problems at all.

TPO wasn't even considered, too many problems with it. If you really want to know about EPDM just ask a long experienced RV roofer what he thinks of it.

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 07-04-2012 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Spelling
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #9

EPDM vs. TPO Roofing

Thanks RoofNRon. OldNBroken and all others for your replies. You've confirmed what I was thinking about the epdm vs. tpo. EPDM it is.
The current roof is.060 epdm and has been on for 20yrs. The new stuff, using .060 again, is supposedly good for 40 yrs. Will be using 1 1/2 '' iso then tapered down to 1/2 " iso to help eliminate the ponding area. Am interested in hearing more about good coatings to apply to the epdm after the installation to provide some reflectivity.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #10
Exterior Construction

EPDM vs. TPO Roofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiju1943 View Post
I'm not trying to be a butt here but unless they are making EPDM differently in the last 10 years, it surely will not last 50 years. 10 years and my EPDM roof is shot. I have a friend who had leaks in his EPDM roof just 3 years after it was installed, they told him the acid rain ate pin holes in it. I installed a Gaco Roof coating on my roof and it is looks great, reflects heat and will stand up to ponding water with no problems at all.

TPO wasn't even considered, too many problems with it. If you really want to know about EPDM just ask a long experienced RV roofer what he thinks of it.
How did you like that Gaco stuff?

Thinking of putting it on a project I have coming up.

Shoot me a PM if you get a chance as I would like to pick your brain for a second if you don't mind.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #11
STAFF

EPDM vs. TPO Roofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
How did you like that Gaco stuff?

Thinking of putting it on a project I have coming up.

Shoot me a PM if you get a chance as I would like to pick your brain for a second if you don't mind.
It turned out a lot better than I thought it would, I am very pleased with it.

Jim
Old 07-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #12

EPDM vs. TPO Roofing

Hello jiju1943, I was comparing the actual material, EPDM vs TPO. Like Windows said, any roof must be installed properly. Also lets make sure we are not talking about white EPDM, which turned out to fail after 10 years.

The problem with EPDM roofs is you don't need any expensive equipment to put it down, so every roofer is out there trying it, and screwing up a lot of detail work. Same issue with modified roofs, you buy a torch and that is all you need and your a modified roofer.

I worked with one of the largest roofers in the county for 10 years and was able to inspect many roofs older than 15 and 20 years. I am not talking about the old glued seams and the flashings, but the membrane itself you could take off a 20 year roof, clean it up, reapply it on another roof and it would still go on for 20 more years.

Now this is all assuming that the EPDM was installed as the correct roof system for the job. EPDM doesn't belong on restaurants where grease spills all over the roof. I did a job on a tobacco plant in NC and guess what, we could not offer EPDM as an option because chemicals in tobacco could prematurely deteriorate the EPDM. EPDM doesn't have the chemical resistance of TPO or PVC.

Sounds like something else going on with acid rain thing. I bet the membrane manufacturer would have been happy to get involved on that one if that was the case.

I also don't install roofs on RV's and never even seen the material they use. I would bet it is the white EPDM. White EPDM is limited to 10 year warranty. I am a 3rd generation roofer and my experience has been on factories, schools, hospitals, shopping malls, etc...

Also as far as coatings, just be aware of the type and how you will repair your roof if it does get a hole in it. If you use an acrylic based coating you are in essence putting on a second roof surface. You would have to get the EPDM cleaned down to original surface, or patch from the underside of the membrane, then patch the acrylic coating. There is also a lo/mit coating - that is only a reflective coating that can be used and would make patching a future hole easier. I am not sure about the GACO coating but just be aware of the issue.
roofnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #13
STAFF

EPDM vs. TPO Roofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofnron View Post
Hello jiju1943, I was comparing the actual material, EPDM vs TPO. Like Windows said, any roof must be installed properly. Also lets make sure we are not talking about white EPDM, which turned out to fail after 10 years.

The problem with EPDM roofs is you don't need any expensive equipment to put it down, so every roofer is out there trying it, and screwing up a lot of detail work. Same issue with modified roofs, you buy a torch and that is all you need and your a modified roofer.

I worked with one of the largest roofers in the county for 10 years and was able to inspect many roofs older than 15 and 20 years. I am not talking about the old glued seams and the flashings, but the membrane itself you could take off a 20 year roof, clean it up, reapply it on another roof and it would still go on for 20 more years.

Now this is all assuming that the EPDM was installed as the correct roof system for the job. EPDM doesn't belong on restaurants where grease spills all over the roof. I did a job on a tobacco plant in NC and guess what, we could not offer EPDM as an option because chemicals in tobacco could prematurely deteriorate the EPDM. EPDM doesn't have the chemical resistance of TPO or PVC.

Sounds like something else going on with acid rain thing. I bet the membrane manufacturer would have been happy to get involved on that one if that was the case.

I also don't install roofs on RV's and never even seen the material they use. I would bet it is the white EPDM. White EPDM is limited to 10 year warranty. I am a 3rd generation roofer and my experience has been on factories, schools, hospitals, shopping malls, etc...

Also as far as coatings, just be aware of the type and how you will repair your roof if it does get a hole in it. If you use an acrylic based coating you are in essence putting on a second roof surface. You would have to get the EPDM cleaned down to original surface, or patch from the underside of the membrane, then patch the acrylic coating. There is also a lo/mit coating - that is only a reflective coating that can be used and would make patching a future hole easier. I am not sure about the GACO coating but just be aware of the issue.
Ron, I stand corrected and I appreciate it. You are correct it was the white EPDM that didn't last over 10 years. I showed my ignorance not knowing there were different EPDMs, had I known that I would have gone back with a better EPDM than was on there orignally. I am quite impressed with the Gaco Roof Coating that I used and I did a lot of research on that product before making the decision to use it. It is easily patched in the even of a puncture so I am happy there.

I did mess up and order the seam tape that wasn't self sticking so that was a little trouble but after seeing it after it has dried I am sure it will be all they said it will be. I won't be around in 10 years so I won't know how long the roof will hold up. Thanks again for pointing out to me and the other readers that there are different types of EPDM.

Jim