EPDM Vs. 3 Ply Fiberglass Roof System - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2012, 06:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

EPDM vs. 3 ply fiberglass roof system

I have a flat roof or what is considered flat here in AZ that needs complete replacement meaning it has to be stripped down to the plywood. I think what I have now and what is most common is the 3 ply fiberglass system using hot asphalt and then finished with 2 coats of Elastek #120. Three different roofing companies gave me estimates for it. I just had one roofing contractor try to sell me on EPDM saying there is no hot asphalt to deal with and it requires less maintenance. Cost is about the same. Anybody have first hand experience with this?

It seems EPDM is considered more for commercial roofs than residential. Is there a reason not to use it on a residential roof?

Advertisement

Last edited by elmaur; 05-21-2012 at 06:53 AM.
elmaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:51 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,244

EPDM would be fine.

TPO would be preferable in my opinion. I also like the additional reflectivity of that material for radiant heat mitigation.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

You have many regional issues to deal with. How old was the existing roof? Why has asphalt been the norm? What's the lifespan of EPDM in that area? Does it hold up at all in the dry baking sun? TPO sucks (oops, did I say that out loud?)

Your existing system has been around for ages. EPDM has been around a long time but you should research and see how it holds up in your area.
Built-up (hot asphalt) roof's worst enemy is their owner and lack of proper maintenance. Properly installed and properly protected from the sun they will last a long time. It's cheap and easy to do a maintenance coat as it needs it. (3-5 yrs usually).

Last edited by OldNBroken; 05-21-2012 at 10:36 AM.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote