Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2011, 05:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

EPDM Rubber Membrane Roofing Q's

I am planning a EPDM rubber membrane roof on a large low slope roof that currently has a 20+ year old mod bit on it now. I am trying to figure out the best way to plan and install this type of roofing. My local building supplier sells Weatherbond .45 mil in 10x50 and 20x50 rolls. I figure I would be close to 1,500 sq ft.
Next I am trying to gather information on the best approach for application and methods.

First of all material size, I know that the seams should be opposite the slope of the roof for water runoff but the sizes that are available from my supplier are short of my total roof width so that would mean a seam parallel with the slope of the roof. Will that not be advisable? There are online suppliers that offer 25+ ft widths at a higher cost (almost 50% higher) with additional freight charges of $100.00+!

Should this be done in the least amount of seams possible or in shorter sections for the length of the roof?

The original plank decking is still on this building. Should this be removed and re-sheeted with osb? Minimum thickness? 1/2" or 5/8" enough? Otherwise would I use 1/2" fiber underlayment over original plank for this?

Adhesive....I have found opinions both ways, manufacturer says use adhesive, some say do not due to season changes and material expansion and contraction. If yes, fine if not what are the mechanical means of securing along perimeter of the roof? Termination strip or are there edge strips or flashing for this?

Depending on the information I get for the layout plan intersecting joints would be another question area; is there a plate used for this or just seam adhesive/ tape.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

flatlander745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:44 PM   #2
Shut in w/o Home

Rewards Points: 0

EPDM Rubber Membrane Roofing Q's

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander745 View Post
I am planning a EPDM rubber membrane roof on a large low slope roof that currently has a 20+ year old mod bit on it now. I am trying to figure out the best way to plan and install this type of roofing. My local building supplier sells Weatherbond .45 mil in 10x50 and 20x50 rolls. I figure I would be close to 1,500 sq ft.
Next I am trying to gather information on the best approach for application and methods.

First of all material size, I know that the seams should be opposite the slope of the roof for water runoff but the sizes that are available from my supplier are short of my total roof width so that would mean a seam parallel with the slope of the roof. Will that not be advisable? There are online suppliers that offer 25+ ft widths at a higher cost (almost 50% higher) with additional freight charges of $100.00+!

Should this be done in the least amount of seams possible or in shorter sections for the length of the roof?

The original plank decking is still on this building. Should this be removed and re-sheeted with osb? Minimum thickness? 1/2" or 5/8" enough? Otherwise would I use 1/2" fiber underlayment over original plank for this?

Adhesive....I have found opinions both ways, manufacturer says use adhesive, some say do not due to season changes and material expansion and contraction. If yes, fine if not what are the mechanical means of securing along perimeter of the roof? Termination strip or are there edge strips or flashing for this?

Depending on the information I get for the layout plan intersecting joints would be another question area; is there a plate used for this or just seam adhesive/ tape.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

The seams can be across the direction of flow.

We install for 1)least amount of material waste before 2)least amount of seams. Usually 1) leads to 2).

Use either the fiber (recovery) board or poly-iso insulation over the planks if they are sound. If you need to increase the slope or get ride of ponds, tapered poly-iso is available. You could use the OSB if you need to increase rigidity, but you must screw it down rather than nail it.

I prefer fully adhered with a roof edge rather than term bar at any eaves.

seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote