Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2011, 09:59 AM   #1

Share |

EPDM roof install questions

Hi,
I'm going to be installing a 17x24' EPDM roof that joins to a pitched roof in New England and have a few questions.

First is with regards to the deck of the roof. I've read that 5/8" OSB is pretty much the norm, but doesn't OSB swell significantly if it ever gets wet? Would 5/8" CDX be better?

Second, regardless of the deck, I've read that some people use ISO board on top of the deck, and others don't. I'm guessing I should. So, how does ISO adhere to the deck? Also, I can't seem to find it at Home Depot or Lowes, any idea where I can find it?

The EPDM roof is going to go under a part of the pitched roof. I'm going to put ice and water shield on the first 3' of the pitched roof, then the EPDM, then the shingles. Is this right? Or should there be felt in there?

Finally, for flashing...two sides of the roof have no gutters, does anyone have a picture or a description of what the flashing on those sides will look like? And the 3rd side (at the bottom of the slope of the flat roof) has a gutter. Any pictures of what this looks like?

Thanks for any help!

SoxFan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer

First is with regards to the deck of the roof. I've read that 5/8" OSB is pretty much the norm, but doesn't OSB swell significantly if it ever gets wet? Would 5/8" CDX be better? Doesn't matter is you screw ISO down on top. I prefer 1" ISo and I go around the entire perimeter first with 1x8 wood to provide a solid nailer for the dripedge. I overhang the fascia by 1" to provide a gap between the roof and the fascia so water can't run behind the gutter. The ISO goes inside the 1x8 perimeter.

Second, regardless of the deck, I've read that some people use ISO board on top of the deck, and others don't. I'm guessing I should. So, how does ISO adhere to the deck? Also, I can't seem to find it at Home Depot or Lowes, any idea where I can find it? BRADCO, ABC Supply,

The EPDM roof is going to go under a part of the pitched roof. I'm going to put ice and water shield on the first 3' of the pitched roof, then the EPDM, then the shingles. Is this right? Or should there be felt in there? Never have felt or I&W in contact with the EPDM. I know Grace states theirs is incompatible. Assume all the others are too. In NE, I'd remove 4' of shingles and run the EPDM that raf up, then cover the last 2' of EPDM with new shingles.

Finally, for flashing...two sides of the roof have no gutters, does anyone have a picture or a description of what the flashing on those sides will look like? And the 3rd side (at the bottom of the slope of the flat roof) has a gutter. Any pictures of what this looks like? No. The .24 or .032 EPDM flashign predominately white, and 3" by 3". Do not use thin aluminum flashing.
The .060 reinforced is much easier to work with, BTW.

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tinner666 For This Useful Post:
SoxFan44 (08-23-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 07:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
First is with regards to the deck of the roof. I've read that 5/8" OSB is pretty much the norm, but doesn't OSB swell significantly if it ever gets wet? Would 5/8" CDX be better? Doesn't matter is you screw ISO down on top. I prefer 1" ISo and I go around the entire perimeter first with 1x8 wood to provide a solid nailer for the dripedge. I overhang the fascia by 1" to provide a gap between the roof and the fascia so water can't run behind the gutter. The ISO goes inside the 1x8 perimeter.

Second, regardless of the deck, I've read that some people use ISO board on top of the deck, and others don't. I'm guessing I should. So, how does ISO adhere to the deck? Also, I can't seem to find it at Home Depot or Lowes, any idea where I can find it? BRADCO, ABC Supply,

The EPDM roof is going to go under a part of the pitched roof. I'm going to put ice and water shield on the first 3' of the pitched roof, then the EPDM, then the shingles. Is this right? Or should there be felt in there? Never have felt or I&W in contact with the EPDM. I know Grace states theirs is incompatible. Assume all the others are too. In NE, I'd remove 4' of shingles and run the EPDM that raf up, then cover the last 2' of EPDM with new shingles.

Finally, for flashing...two sides of the roof have no gutters, does anyone have a picture or a description of what the flashing on those sides will look like? And the 3rd side (at the bottom of the slope of the flat roof) has a gutter. Any pictures of what this looks like? No. The .24 or .032 EPDM flashign predominately white, and 3" by 3". Do not use thin aluminum flashing.
The .060 reinforced is much easier to work with, BTW.
Thanks for the advice. If anyone has a picture or diagram of what the flashing looks like, it would be much appreciated!
SoxFan44 is offline   Reply With Quote