EPDM Cleaning And Repair - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

EPDM Cleaning and Repair

Hi folks, I'm new to this forum and have a problem with a leaking EPDM rubber membrane roof. There aren't many roofers in my area that are qualified to install and repair EPDM, and the ones that are are very busy. I was basically told that they weren't interested. The worst part is that only certified installers can purchase the materials. After deciding to deal with it myself, I managed to beg borrow and steal the materials needed to do the job. Now I was wondering if I can get an idea if I'm on the right track...

The problem I have is that some genius decided to nail a fascia board through the rubber membrane so that they could run telephone and cable lines along the roof. The result is that the rubber membrane has begun to pull back and the nail holes have stretched open. Water gathers behind the fascia board and eventually seeps into the nail holes and runs along the roof deck to the hole where the roof drain is and drips down around the roof drain.

I've torn off the fascia board, and I'm thinking of gluing a piece of EPDM to the roof above the nail holes and draping it over the nail holes and gluing it below the nail holes.

Another problem I'm having is removing dirt that seems to be baked onto the rubber... I tried washing with a mop and dish soap, and I also tried methyl hydrate. I used a pressure wand to rinse off both with little result.

There's pea gravel on the roof, but one roofer that looked at it said it shouldn't be necessary since it was fastened (you can see the ridges where it was fastened). I swept the gravel away from the seams and the seams look fine.

I can also see white Styrofoam under one of the section of rubber.

Questions:
(1) Do any experts think my solution will work?
(2) Are there easier ways to clean the baked on dirt off? Is it safe to use a pressure washer?

I don't have any pictures with me, but I've attached two sketches of what I'm dealing with. The red lines represent the EPDM rubber membrane, the black lines are the roof deck and fascia board, and the blue lines represent the path I think the water is taking. The first sketch is the current situation, and the second is my proposed solution.

Thanks for any comments.
Attached Thumbnails
EPDM Cleaning and Repair-facia1.gif   EPDM Cleaning and Repair-facia2.gif  

Advertisement

Landmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

EPDM Cleaning and Repair

Your diagrams help but pictures would help much much more.

When there is gravel on the roof it's damned near impossible to get the membrane perfectly clean. What we use is a pressure washer and/or scrub pads with weathered membrane cleaner.

Advertisement

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote