Enclosed Porch Roof - Sheathing - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2009, 01:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Enclosed Porch Roof - Sheathing

It looks like I'm going to have to do my first DIY roofing project on my enclosed porch, as the estimates I've gotten are entirely too expensive or the work can't start for a month or more (seems there was a tornado or hail storm just south of here, and everyone is tied up.)

Since I know I'm going to have to replace the sheathing, (in the spots I can see it, it's rotted and warped), is 3/4" plywood sufficient as sheathing directly to the joists? It's a low-pitch roof, probably 2-12, so roll roofing. Should I leave an 1/"8 gap between sheets, or use tongue-and groove sheets and make the seams tight?

I looked around here and the general consensus seems to be that conventional rolled roofing is garbage. (I'm glad I looked, the estimates I got were for rolled asphault.) How do the self-adhesive products (GAF, Certainteed) compare in terms of materials cost to the conventional rolled asphault? I can't find anywhere online to get a sense of the prices of those products. What should I expect to spend on 300 sq. feet? I also can't find a definitive step-by-step "how-to" on either one.

Advertisement

LowVolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:25 PM   #2
Roofing Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

Hi,

3/4" plywood on that pitch is good.

If installed correctly rolled roofing is a good roof.

There are instructions with every roll.

Advertisement

Leftyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
Handyguy

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Rolled roofing, yes. IF IF IF its a product for low slope roofs. The stuff I see at the home center is NOT for low slope roofs. The peel and stick stuff should be a decent option for DIY. Have you considered a metal roof?
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brik View Post
Rolled roofing, yes. IF IF IF its a product for low slope roofs. The stuff I see at the home center is NOT for low slope roofs. The peel and stick stuff should be a decent option for DIY. Have you considered a metal roof?
What determines that a product is for a low slope roof? I go to the GAF or Certainteed site, and it clearly wasn't made for the newbie. I saw mention here of an ABC Supply, which there is one not terribly far from here. Is that the sort of place that would be helpful to a first-time DIY?

Of course, the guy at the "home center" pointed out the rolls of stuff they have as what I need. What's that stuff good for, if not low slope? Or rather, what is it intended for?

As for metal, I mentioned that to the wife, she isn't keen on how it would look.
Old 07-29-2009, 09:25 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,052

Basic: http://www.realtor.com/home-garden/d...l-roofing.aspx

http://www.onlinetips.org/install-roll-roofing

Click on the "limited preview" books: http://books.google.com/books?ei=8h0...G=Search+Books

Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:59 AM   #6
Roofing Contractor

Hi LowVolts,

I am interested in what Brik is talking about too.
Old 08-01-2009, 12:43 AM   #7

Well, I didn't get any specifics on this thread, but based on what I found on others, I went to a place nearby that sells the Certainteed Flintlastic SA and put in an order for that. Two ply, a base that I'll nail down, then the stick on cap sheet. I'll replace the sheathing with 3/4" ply. The guy at the supply shop suggested just running the cap sheet up under the clapboard, if I can, rather than flashing where the house meets the porch. Gravel guard on the sides, drip guard along the rake.

Anyone object to just running the cap sheet under the clapboard instead of flashing under it?
Old 08-01-2009, 09:34 AM   #8
Roofing Contractor

Hi,

You may need a cant strip at the wall. Read what the manufacturer instructions. Why not use the self-adhered base sheet?

The transition at the wall will be your weakest point of the system. Cant strip takes the stress of movement between the two planes of the house.

Advertisement