DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Electrical service too near valley of roof?

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  adamselene 
#1 ·
I just posted this over in electrical but it is more of a roofing question so I'm asking here too.

So I just had an electrician new service entry put on my house to upgrade to 200 amps for a new central AC.

When I got home, I saw that he had put the pole up through the soffit and the roof (as planned). However, it looks as if he forgot the valley of the roof was diagonal and is now awfully close to the open valley between the shingles (he's got the pole about six inches off the centerline, but he had to cut through the 24" valley flashing). It's flashed and sealed up, but he had to cut the corner off the service entry flashing so as not to block the valley.

Is this ok? Will it screw me over for a roofing inspection when I get the house reroofed? I figure I had about 5-10 years left on the second layer of roofing currently on the house.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Although the tape measure shows the pipe to be about 6" away from the valley, the second photo seems to look more like 1 1/2 feet away approximately.

Your shingles in that area look very burned out, but that just may be because they were man-handled awkwardly recently.

Insert additional photos of the roof condition, because right now, it looks like they are ready for replacement.

If the pipe is actually that close to the center of the valley and if you live in a snow area, it more than likely will certainly cause problems down the road, especially when the plastic roof cement hardens and becomes brittle and starts to crack, taking the shingle material along with it.

Ed

#4 ·
Thanks Ed!

The pole is 6"-8" off the centerline of the valley as the detail photo showed--the distance photo is a bit deceiving, but that in part is because of the valley running diagonally.

I live near Denver, Colorado so we do get some snow, but not as much as many places. This is the SW exposure, so it usually melts quickly here.

I'll try to get some other photos of the roof. I had a roofer out to repair a leak last summer and he was the one who said 5 years till replacement.

Thanks again, Ed!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.