Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2010, 02:13 PM   #1

Share |

Electrical Service on Roof

I've done enough shingling in the past for others to where I feel comfortable doing my own house! My biggest reservation however is the power line from the street connects to a tower type deal on my roof and then down the side of the house. Obviously this "tower" would need to be removed for tear off and re-shingling. But how? Do I call the power company to de-energize, then hope I can get that area cleaned off and shingled so they can come back to re-energize before my perishables and wife go bad. I'm sure some of you pros out there deal with this all the time, I just don't know what the best procedure would be.

dhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhag View Post
I've done enough shingling in the past for others to where I feel comfortable doing my own house! My biggest reservation however is the power line from the street connects to a tower type deal on my roof and then down the side of the house. Obviously this "tower" would need to be removed for tear off and re-shingling. But how? Do I call the power company to de-energize, then hope I can get that area cleaned off and shingled so they can come back to re-energize before my perishables and wife go bad. I'm sure some of you pros out there deal with this all the time, I just don't know what the best procedure would be.
Call an electrician. If necessary, he will deal with the PoCo. Many times he will do it all himself. Depending on the situation and how long the roofing will take, he might set you up with temporary power.

As for if this is necessary to redo the roof, I am not sure. I'm sure a roofer will be around soon to help you with that.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:39 PM   #3

Post a pic of the tower if you can
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
Mod

Deal with this a lot. Call the power company theyíll disconnect you at the mast. Youíll have no power or weight on the mast.

Donít know if your talking about shingle siding or roof but either way get as much work done up close to the area as you are comfortable with so when they unplug you can get past that point quick.

Anywhere Iíve worked the service is FREE, they donít want you to get fried either.

Have a crew on standby to deal with the perishables if need be.

EDIT: I guess you did post this in roofing,

Last edited by kwikfishron; 08-20-2010 at 05:40 PM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:19 PM   #5
Doing This Way Too Long

Holy cow, are you all serious? You don't need to do anything. If the existing flashing is re-useable then re-use it. If not, get a retro spin flashing or other.
Don't know about anywhere else but almost 30 years of roofing I've never heard of dismantling the weatherhead during a re-roof.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
Remodeling Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
Holy cow, are you all serious? You don't need to do anything. If the existing flashing is re-useable then re-use it. If not, get a retro spin flashing or other.
Don't know about anywhere else but almost 30 years of roofing I've never heard of dismantling the weatherhead during a re-roof.
Amen. I've only been roofing for about 15 years, but have never had a service disconected from a mast either.
eisert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:19 AM   #7
Shut in w/o Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhag View Post
Oh no. There should be a flashing around the weatherhead mast. If it's not re-usable or missing, there are 2 piece replacements available.

Call the power company and get them to wrap the power lines going into the mast so there's no chance of getting in contact with them.

Edit: sorry for the re-hash - didn't read far enough.

seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote