Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2011, 01:42 PM   #1

Share |

edge vents or dci vents

Okay here's the problem. I have a colonial style house with cathedral type ceilings on second floor. When house was built the soffit vents were covered up with insulation. I have tried unsuccessfully to try and wedge my body into the space in the attic to try and pull it away from those vents but I cannot reach anywhere near due to the low roof where it meets the framing for the ceiling for the rooms below. also the holes cut for the vents on the outside are too small to fit my hand up into to try and pull insulation out. A solution offered to me is the edge vent or dci venting about three feet up from roof edge due to the dormers being in the way and the fact that insulation would still be a problem. The theory is that with my passive vents at top and new vents near bottom that it would work the same or at least regulate temperature better than what I have now without creating a more expensive and time consuming solution. Any thought or ideas. Live in Northwest Illinois
globex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 06:56 PM   #2

edge vents or dci vents

I have been successfully using the Smart Vent from DCI for 10 years now and have compared it to The Edge offered by Air Vent and like many facets of the Smart Vent better, but number one is the 10 + year track record of positive results and customer satisfaction.

I work out of the NW suburbs, so the climate is the same as yours and there have been NO negative results ever mentioned by post job surveys from any of my customers.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:17 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

edge vents or dci vents

I have used edge vent on a few projects with good results. I don't know how either the DCI nor the edge don't leak in heavy winter climates but so far so good. No 10 year record here like Ed, I still don't trust them, I don't understand why they don't leak, but they seem to function flawless.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote