Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-04-2013, 10:07 PM   #1

Share |

The Edge Vent/Smart Vent and leafguard

Air Vent states "In a quick review of the Leaf Proof gutter protection product, Air Vent does not believe that The Edge Vent will work without significant customization of the installation".

I could not find such a statement on DCI Smart vent website. So can Smart Vent be installed with LeafGuard 6" from the eave?

I guess both Edge Vent and Smart Vent can be installed 1 feet from the edge when leafguard gutter is used. This is not the best as it will show a line on the roof but I guess it will still be better looking than 2' or 3' from the eave.

The Q&A from Air Vent: http://www.airvent.com/professional/whyVent/faq.shtml

Q: Has Air Vent done any research on how The Edge Vent works with gutter protection products (Leaf Proof, for example)?
A: Air Vent has not tested the compatibility of gutter protection products in general with The Edge Vent.

In a quick review of the Leaf Proof gutter protection product, Air Vent does not believe that The Edge Vent will work without significant customization of the installation. This gutter protection product has features that slow the water speed down so that it will be diverted in the gutter. This requires that the first course shingles overlap the top flange of the Leaf Proof product. It may be possible to block out a sub fascia to support the gutter and create a ventilation space to allow air to get to The Edge Vent from directly below the slots. Then the gutter protection product could be flashed under the first course of shingles that are installed over The Edge Vent. Fastening of this upper flange could be challenging.

User123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:00 AM   #2

It's rare to have to even need to use that style vent.
Could you post a picture of the roof, no close ups needed.
Also please post your location in your profile so all factors can be considered.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by User123 View Post
Air Vent states "In a quick review of the Leaf Proof gutter protection product, Air Vent does not believe that The Edge Vent will work without significant customization of the installation".
Is your question about adding gutter covers?
or do you have a question about how best to vent an attic?
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #4

Thanks joecaption and TarheelTerp.

I don't have a picture at this moment. I could use soffit vents since there is a couple inches of soffit.

My question is: what is the best way to install the Edge vent or smart vent when there is LeafGuard gutters?
Old 07-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #5
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by User123 View Post
what is the best way to install the Edge vent or smart vent when there is LeafGuard gutters?
Remove the gutter covers and give them away.

Do you not have box soffit's below your eaves?
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #6

Thanks TarheelTerp. You are right. It turned out that the cover is removable. I guess it is not LeafGuards. One roofer told me the whole gutter is one piece and the cover cannot be removed. He was wrong.