"the Edge" Edge Vents - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2009, 09:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

"the edge" edge vents

Has anyone here used "the edge" edge vents made by AirVent, Inc.? They're black plastic vents that go on the edge of a roof with little or no soffits. I hear two sides of the story...that they are great, and some people say they can actually cause ice dams....

Any input would be much appreciated...

If the ice damming is a possbility, my other option right now is the vented gutter apron or vented drip edge made by the same company, AirVent, Inc.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

k.kuenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 10:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

"the edge" edge vents

I don't like the Vented Drip Edge, because the louvres are right on top of the gutter where the ice builds up.

Do you have a link to a "Vented Gutter Apron"? thats a new one to me.

There is vented fasia boards made by Crane Building Products.

Also, there id vents that go between the fascia and a sub-fascia that can still have gutters installed, if that is your biggest concern.

For me, personally, I like the Smart Vent, by DCIproducts Inc., and have been using it since 2001 with no problems.
http://www.dciproducts.com/html/smartvent.htm

The additional airflow created from the proper Intake Ventilation minimizes any snow melt on the roof surface.

Search this forum for photos I took right immediately after both 6" and 14" snow fals with houses that I installed the Smart Vent on.

But, I am a firm believer in the Shingle Vent II for the best results for Ridge Ventilation.

Ed

Advertisement

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 11:30 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

"the edge" edge vents

Thank you so much, Ed. I wasn't sure if it was called a vented drip edge, or vented gutter apron. Since you haven't heard of it, "vented drip edge" was probably the correct term.

I will definitely check out the DCI edge vents.

We're also doing ridge venting, as well so I think after this we'll have a good set-up.

Thank you very much for the input!
k.kuenn is offline   Reply With Quote