DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Roofing/Siding (
-   -   ed the roofer? (

What have I done 07-02-2007 05:14 PM

ed the roofer?
Ed I have read posts that you have mentioned smart vent products. It looks great for the farmhouse I am renovating to get venting down by the soffits. I went to their website and the list ABC as a supplier which we have here but they dont carry it.
My questions are? Is this as good of a product as it looks to be? is it as good or better than adding venting in the soffits, I have very little over hang.
What does it run in price. I wanted to get your personal opinions before I scurry about the countryside trying to track it down
Thanks for this and all the roofers on here for all the good advice

Ed the Roofer 07-02-2007 05:35 PM

I swear by the Smart Vent product from DCI Products. It provides 9 square inches of fresh air intake ventilation per lineal foot. Mini-Louver vents, (the small circular ones), are in the range of less than 2 square inches to about 4 square inches per each one of the circular vents.

Call DCI direct and find out which supplier "STOCKS" the Smart Vent product in your area. Or, tell them no one has it and you want to buy it direct from them if that is the case. It is about $ 11.00 per 3 foot long piece at my cost and worth every cent even though it does seem over priced. Thats the way it goes though if you want to do the job correctly.

Here are some alternative options to consider:

Solutions for no eave overhang intake
There are 3 products that come to mind to address homes with no soffit overhangs to create intake ventilation.

1) Vented drip edge vent by Air Vent Corp.
I've used it, but was too uncomfortable with the 3" vented louvre placement being right over a potential frozen gutter scenario, and I was not comfortable with the 1" gap required to be cut at either the top 1" of the fascia board or at the bottom 1" of the decking.

2) Smart Vent by DCI Products.
I currently have used this on about 60 to 70 homes in the past 4 years. It is an excellent solution, but it costs way too much just for pieces of coroplast glued together to create a tapered profile. I charge enough for it though, and usually find that I am the only contractor who addressed the " other half " of the ventilation scenario.

3) Vented fascia board by Crane Products.
I never used it, but it was created by a fellow roofer, but I believe it is in the $ 15.00 to $ 20.00 per foot range.

4) Create your own vented fascia board with a sub-fascia, then a cobra vent type material, and then an exterior fascia to conceal the product.

I hope these suggestions help out.
I am new to this forum, so get to know me and communicate ideas.


Everflow is a remake of the old Globe intake vent. Ive never used the other tapered one listed on there web site though, but the concept seems similar to the DCI Smart Vent.

What have I done 07-02-2007 10:18 PM

thanks for the speedy reply Ed. I am going to see if ABC can get it even though the local store dont stock it. Plus as you suggested I will call DCI.

Have you ever tried this product called in-vent. I was searching for the smart-vent and came across this website comparing the 2 products

was wondering if anyone has used it?

Ed the Roofer 07-02-2007 10:37 PM

Thank you for that link.

I had read about it only once before and was going to try to dig up the post from another forum where we had a similar discussion about intake ventilation products.

I do not personally know anyone who has used this alternate vent product yet.

If their NFVA research and conclusions are correct, it would seem to out-perform the Smart Vent, but their "Rated" NFVA is substantially less than that of the ratings of the Smart Vent product.

They are attempting to justify their positioning statement by introducing pasqals and cfm into the equation and that is not how the accepted NFVA standards are currently rated.

Air Vent corporation makes a similar claim as to the total CFM and quantity of "Air-Exchanges" per hour in regards to their externally baffled ridge ventilation products, but in the same breath, they state that they view that as a more meaningfull measurement of total volume of actual air-flow rather than trying to additionally hype the product in ratings tests against other products based on variable parameters.

Order the "Principles Of Attic Ventilation" booklet from Air-Vent or just Google it and print out the 16 page booklet and see their illustration towards the end of the booklette showing a comparison of how many mushroom style vents it would take to compare to the ridge ventilation product based on the CFM and air exchanges per hour methodology.


What have I done 07-05-2007 03:48 PM

Ok - so Ed I found a distriibuter that carries smartvent about 80 miles from me. Im thinking about going and picking some up for my project. They quoted me $8.00 for a 3 foot piece. Do I need any special end or anything else to go along with the smart vent?
thanks again

Ed the Roofer 07-06-2007 10:12 AM

No special end cap pieces are required.

If you want to try to conceal the side edges of it on the gable sides, you can run you Overhanging drip edge metal over the top of the product to cover up the grey filter fabric.

That is a much better price than I pay for it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:00 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1