Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2008, 07:07 AM   #1

Share |

Ed? IKO shingles

Ed, I have a question for you concerning IKO shingles from 2001. I put a 30 year dimensional IKO Cambridge shingle on a home back in the fall of 2001 here in Bloomington, Indiana. They are a dark colored shingle. Anyway, they have continually blown off anytime there is a 30-40 mile per hour wind. I have been roofing on my own for 12 years now and have never had this problem, all over the roof there are shingles which have not sealed, I can grab them and lift them right up as if they were just layed. It's not nail location, they just aren't sealing, and of course IKO won't stand behind them. I have been over there many times over the past few years standing behind my work but it's been over 5 years. What do you know of this time frame of shingles with IKO? What do you think of IKO shingles? Have you installed or had this problem with their product? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Tree Frog Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 10:07 AM   #2

Ed? IKO shingles

The common consensus among most roofers opinions about IKO shingles is that they are the bottom of the barrel when it comes to quality and service after the fact, as you are experiencing currently.

One roofer, bit I can not remember who, has nothing but good things to say about them and also their warranty service. I guess it depends on where you are located and the commitment of the IKO staff in that particular region.

I think the other roofer was around the West Coast or somewheres around there. When IKO's first were being sold in the Chicago market, they flooded this area with 2nds, and received a very poor and ongoing bad reputation. Yes, the product was cheaper to buy back then, but many contractors reputations suffered greatly I would imagine, when there were extreme warranty issues, which would not get covered.

Were you the one who specified the IKO shingles or was it the customer?

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:52 PM   #3

Ed? IKO shingles

Everyone knows IKO is the worst one. They flooded the market here about 15 years ago now just about all the suppliers got rid of them.
RooferJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 04:38 AM   #4

Ed? IKO shingles

Actually the builder bought them and I just installed them. The builder and homeowner were good friends, or at least friends. I have regretted it everyday since. I prefer Certainteed or GAF shingles, I like the Owens Corning traditionals 3 tabs. Thank you for responding!
Tree Frog Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 10:02 AM   #5

Ed? IKO shingles

At some point you are going to have to notify them that the problems are not instalation related and stop being liable for a defective product that you had no control in choosing.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:46 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Ed? IKO shingles

sealing is one thing,but even non sealant shingles had no problems with proper nailing,was that done--I do agree w/the poor shingle quality issues in the past(don`t use them ,so can`t say about now)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:42 PM   #7

Ed? IKO shingles

Tree Frog Roofer, You need to call the 1-800 number for IKO and get a home owner warranty packet. Has instructions on how to file a claim. Have had very few problems with IKO shingles. Most common issue I know of is not nailing on the white line. IkO will not warranty if not nail properly.
Don The Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote