DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

economical low slope roof?

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  seeyou 
#1 ·
My brother has a 2/12 pitch roof in need of replacement. There are currently asphalt shingles on it. What is the most economical way of redoing the roof? Low slope shingles with tar paper? Iceguard and regular shingles? I'm not even sure what is required in a low slope application and I'm open to suggestions.
He lives in Edmonton,Alberta, Canada........Go Oilers!

#2 ·
TC,
Down here in Ohio we have a lot of shed roof garages in the older homes with very low pitches like yours. Usual way it 90# rolled roofing over 15# felt. Where the 90# overlaps, roofing tar is troweled on to seal. Most shingle require min. 4/12 pitch. Not familiar with low slope shingles you mentioned.
Mike Hawkins:)

#4 ·
In the States, most shingle manufacturers allow the application of dimensional shingles on 2/12 or greater slopes with half lapped #30 felt or ice & water shield underlayment. I've done this for years with no problems, but we don't have the snow loads your brother does. Check the shingle manufacturer's site and see what they recommend for that area.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.