Duro Last Flat Roofing - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2008, 04:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

duro last flat roofing

Hi, I have bought a building with a flat roof which is leaking. The roof is very old and the person before me has re-paired it numerous times with all types of methods that made my roofer cringe.
My roof and agreed that we need to replace it.

They suggest Duro Last rubber roof as the way to go. It is the white rubber roof...apparently good for reflecting sun light. It comes with a 15 year warranty and the roofing company says it will probably last up to 30 years.

I do sometime in the future want to put a deck on top of the flat roof. The roofer said I "can" put a deck on top of the white rubber roof , I would just need to put foam as an insulator that would cost about $200.00 and that would be fine.

I also noticed some nails trying to pop through the existing roof, will this cause a problem with the Duro last?

Question: I have several questions:
Is the Duro last the best solution and the best product for flat roofs?
Does anyone know if the Duro Last robber roofs last as long as they claim they will?
Can I put a deck over the rubber roof?
Also will the nail issue eventually cause a problem with the Duro last?

Thank you so much for any help on this.
Cheryl from Canada

Advertisement

cherylfromcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:33 PM   #2
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

duro last flat roofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylfromcanada View Post
Does anyone know if the Duro Last robber roofs last as long as they claim they will?

Thank you so much for any help on this.
Cheryl from Canada
1. NO
2. NO
3. NO
4. Those nails will be the least of your worries with durolast

Did this "roofer" give you any other options? BTW, most singleply's lifespan is 6-8 years. They can say what they want, I'm on them all the time, I know the truth, I see it every day.
If this was all he was selling, Call a real roofer. Search roofing sites you'll find all sorts of durolast horror stories. Call a real roofer who will give you HONEST choices. Choices other than singleply.

With durolast it's not as much about the actual product as with the reps and contractors I have run across. Quality and integrity don't seem to be a very high priority.

Advertisement

Last edited by OldNBroken; 07-31-2008 at 12:56 AM.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:17 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

duro last flat roofing

There are other options, like 2-ply and 3-ply for low-, or no- slope rooves. Depends a bit on where in Canada you are...but if you decide to put a deck over that roof, it's better be a good roof because you may not want to tear down your deck everytime your roof needs a patch.

There are several self-adhesive membranes out there that come in rolls, that are part of a waterproof system...not every roofer is qualified to install systems, so look around and find someone who knows what they are talking about...
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

duro last flat roofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylfromcanada View Post
Cheryl, I'd answer your questions:
1. No - Duro-last is the LAST thing I'd put on a roof. I was a Duro-last roofer for exactly ONE roof. The area representative (Northern California) measured the roof wrong - so when the pre-made roof showed up, it "didn't fit". The trainer they flew in from Texas was more interested in his beverage ... More importantly, their material is not as thick as the IB material ... and IB has the same amount of the material on both sides of the scrim (the scrim is like the backing of a carpet... it's what they bond the waterproof material to ... and the scrim is what keeps it from tearing, etc).
2. No idea - but I know that IB roofs last a LONG time. I've seen 15year IB roofs that are just dirty.
3. Yes, you can put a deck over a PVC roof (IB & Duro-last are made of PVC compound). You have 2 options for putting a deck over any roof (PVC, rubber or asphaltic) (a) Make sure that your deck is separated from the roof system with some sort of padding (so that the micro-movement of the deck is not transmitted directly to your roof - which will wear a whole in your roof) or (b) Attach the deck to the roof, and then waterproof those areas. I'd do letter (b) if it were my building.
4. Nails will cause a problem with any roof you do. The easiest solution is put insulation on top of the wood.... you'll want insulation anyway (it'll save you / your tenants money in the winter, as well as the summer)... and any 'back-outs' (nails that slowly work their way out of the wood) won't poke into the roof.

If your roofer doesn't know how to do 3b lemme know. You should put the deck mount points in when you're redoing your roof.
parkerfairfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

duro last flat roofing

ParkerFairfield
I am facing the same situation, building a new flat roof with deck on top. My contractor does not understand 3b at all. could you explain?
modusvivendi is offline   Reply With Quote