Drip Edge...Various Widths? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Drip Edge...Various widths?

Hi,
I'm building a detached workshop, 11' x 15' with a hip roof 4:12 pitch. I have 15/32, 5 ply as decking, 16" oc. I have a 2 x 6 fascia and plan to have seamless rain gutter installed.

I noticed the different widths in drip edges, 1.5", 2" and 3" at Lowes.

Is there a rule or preference in which width to install?

Also, at the corners, is there any special cut to make? I was thinking of one cut on top and then wrap the corner with the top cut scissoring closed. Do these get sealed?

Advertisement

RM575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #2

Sorry, accidentally double posted. Can't find how to delete one of them.

Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 632

Are you sure that was drip cap you were looking at? I've never seen but one width at any Lowes or Home Depot I've been in.
If you added drip edge moulding (or just 1 X 2's all around the roof and just used 1-1/2 drip cap that would kick the shingles out enough that the water would drop in the gutters.
I just run the lower drip edge first and keep it even with the ends. Then set the end piece in place and mark the lower end from the back side and cut it to match the pitch of the roof.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Are you sure that was drip cap you were looking at? I've never seen but one width at any Lowes or Home Depot I've been in.
If you added drip edge moulding (or just 1 X 2's all around the roof and just used 1-1/2 drip cap that would kick the shingles out enough that the water would drop in the gutters.
I just run the lower drip edge first and keep it even with the ends. Then set the end piece in place and mark the lower end from the back side and cut it to match the pitch of the roof.

Hi Joe,
I'm pretty sure it was all drip edge (label "roof edge") and there are 3 sizes of widths.

I'm trying to visualize your instruction on cutting. Since this is a hip roof, my only cuts will be corners, which seem simple enough.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 632

Opps I missed the hip part.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:16 PM   #6

Well, I just went to the Lowes website, searched for "drip edge" and found 37 results. Apparently, you can order 4" widths as well. So, now I'm a little puzzled at what size would be the suggested one for my project?

Advertisement