DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Roofing/Siding (
-   -   Drip edge on a low slope porch. (

markcal02 10-03-2011 09:44 AM

Drip edge on a low slope porch.
What is the best way to attach drip edge to a low slope porch?

AGWhitehouse 10-03-2011 12:40 PM

Are you asking how to flash it? Attachment is via nails...

markcal02 10-03-2011 01:10 PM

Drip edge on a low slope porch
Sorry about being so vague in the way i asked the question.

Does the drip edge go under or on top of the underlayment/felt?

AGWhitehouse 10-03-2011 01:15 PM

It goes under the felt

markcal02 10-03-2011 03:54 PM

AGWhitehouse adcive on installing drip edge on a low slope roof
I posted the same question in the "This old house" forum and got this reply- it should go over the felt.. the metal drip edge will sweat and cause the edge to rot.. seen it several times.. same goes for ice and water sheild

Which answer is the correct one?

AGWhitehouse 10-03-2011 04:05 PM

It will sweat? That just makes me confused...

As far as what is correct, think about it. Water flows downhill, so you place items in the assembly to shed water. The drip edge is the last thing the water touches before it leaves the roof. Assuming the shingles themzelves aren't there yet; the water runs down the felt, onto the drip edge, and off the roof. If you place the drip edge on top then the water will run down and under the drip edge down the fascia, across soffits, into walls, insulation etc. For those that say caulk it on top, I emplor that the definition of a bad design is one that relies on caulk for water tightness.

Here's an image:

Edit: Just realized the attached image has the drip edge on top on the rakes. This is correct and may be adding to the overall confusion. Final answer: On top at the Rakes (Gables), On the bottom at the Eaves (Soffits).

Slyfox 10-04-2011 06:21 AM

The best correct answer is to go manufacturers website (manufacturer of the shingles your installing) and click on installation spec's and read what they want.

I always run felt over the drip on the eaves and under on the drip gables.

shazapple 10-04-2011 07:49 AM

AGWhitehouse is correct. Drip edge goes under felt at the eave, over at the rakes. This is how it is detailed in the NRCA (National Roofing Contractors Association) Steep Roof Manual.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1