Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
t60

Share |

Drip Edge Leak -- Bad installation? Something else?

I've been in my house for about two years now, and my neighbor across the street said the previous owners had their roof installed less than five years ago. I am seeing a water leak in one of my bedrooms, specifically on the south side when there are heavy rains. The roof itself looks great, but the edges on the back side of my house are setup strangely.

The leak drips down from the top of the window:

I climbed into the attic and found the leak in four areas:

Water seems to be coming from under the drip edge. This is what my roof edge looks like:

I have a feeling the drip edge is not installed correctly (it should be underneath that layer, right?). I am getting a leak on the south side of my house when there are high winds and heavy rain. This is what I think is happening:

Any suggestions on what I can do to fix this? If it means ripping out the drip edge and re-installing it under that layer, I'll probably just call in a roofer.

What is that layer called anyway? They're not shingles or gutters..

t60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Can you take some pictures from a bit wider angle and post them up?

Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
t60

I'm not home right now, but here's another angle I had on my phone (looking towards the backside of my house):
Old 01-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #4

That's messed up, completly wrong, and makes 0 since to do it that way.
What is under that starter strip? It should have been under the first row of shingles.
The fashia is suppost to be under the starter strip not 6" away from it.

Last edited by joecaption; 01-24-2012 at 03:54 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
t60

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
That's messed up, completly wrong, and makes 0 since to do it that way.
What is under that starter strip? It should have been under the first row of shingles.
The fashia is suppost to be under the starter strip not 6" away from it.
Looking up from the attic crawl space there appears to be underlayment first, then the starter strip, and I guess the drip edge on top. I'm assuming the drip edge needs to be underneath the starter strip? What can expect a roofer to do in this situation to resolve the problem?
Old 01-24-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
old timer

Where are you located t60?

It's possible, maybe not, that gutter lining material is wrapped under the drip edge and over the fascia/gutter board. Standard practice for those materials.
I would start by looking under the first row of shingles for open joints that may be leaking when water backs up in heavy rains.
dmc@RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dmc@RCR For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (01-24-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
t60

I'm on the west coast. In my area it's 55-65 degrees most of the year, including summer.

I'm 90% certain the lining material is under the drip edge and over the gutter board. The gutter board is directly underneath the drip edge. I can double-check when I get home.

I don't believe that the first row of shingles is causing the issue. I looked at the entire side and the shingles look great, but the leak is only happening on this part of the house. It is next to a downspout so more water will be in this area. It looks like the water goes on the starter strip, gets pushed towards the edge and instead of dripping out from the drip edge, it goes into the fascia on top and drips into the attic.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
Mod

Is there any overhang on this roof? If so how much?
Old 01-24-2012, 05:44 PM   #9
t60

This area has none.

The front part of my house has about 6-8 inches.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:23 AM   #10
Exterior Construction

I would guess it to be what dmc said. It is wrapped short and not over the fascia board.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:35 PM   #11
t60

So I've had three roofing guys come by, I'll just call them A, B, and C.

A: He wanted to get rid of the drip edge, rip out the starter strip and get a better idea of what's causing the leak. He didn't want to climb in the attic to look because of "unsafe conditions" -- though he was on the larger side, and my attic is just a crawl space so I could see why he said that.

B and C both went into the attic (when it was raining) and saw what I was talking about. They both were not sure what was causing the leak, but have offered to come back on a sunny day to do some spot checking with a hose.

B thought it was the shingles at first, but took a peek and didn't notice any issues. He thought it may be the downspout area that needs to be patched, because he didn't see any water in the attic, aside from the edge.

C thinks a couple of the shingles could be re-nailed, and offered to do it when it was sunny again, then do some spot checking with a hose.

I've asked A never to come back. B and C said there were no issues with the drip edge installation, as this is a typical installation as another poster noted earlier. They said about 75% of the roofs in my area have this strange "gutter"-like edge.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #12
RFN-4A-LVN

Why not invest in a more "traditional" gutter system.It seems that at some point that material will fail resulting in more extensive damage.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #13

I'm with Roof master on this one. That's one funky looking setup.
I can see more ways it will will leak then ways it's doing any good.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #14
t60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofmaster417 View Post
Why not invest in a more "traditional" gutter system.It seems that at some point that material will fail resulting in more extensive damage.
By this do you mean remove the drip edge, remove the starter strip, remove the fascia boards and replace with new fascia boards that are angled so that a traditional gutter system can be installed?

Sounds expensive, no?

I'm just trying to find out where the leak is, and figure out how to fix it for the time being. As noted several times, these are how roofs are set up here, only difference is that my neighbor's roofs don't leak -- if that's not "correct," sorry, but I don't have the money to hire someone such as yourself to fix it properly (i.e., rip it all out and re-do it -- though I'm sure that would be great business for you).

I'm kind of disappointed; I thought I would get "DIY" assistance but instead it's a bunch of "it's all wrong, fix it" without providing any steps on how to actually fix it -- instead I'm left to hire a roofer who will probably rip me off.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #15
Metal Roofing

Can i get a pic of the overall area. To me, those pics do not show the exact situation. I see a fuzzy pic of a leaderhead, but without a wider and clear shot its hard to tell whats going on. It could be wind driven rain getting in around that scupper above the leaderhead...i just cant see whats going there.

It also appears that the metal ( doesnt look like drip edge to me, is it a coping?) is top nailed down into the torch or rolled roofing.

Purhaps you should look at a neighbors roof of the same layout whom is not leaking and see what looks different than yours.

Last edited by AndyWRS; 03-13-2012 at 04:21 PM.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyWRS For This Useful Post:
t60 (03-13-2012)