DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Drip edge

9K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  the roofing god 
#1 ·
I have plans to replace the facia boards with the composite material. The current facias are in bad shape (rotting).
I currently have a 2" drip edge installed aound the house and there is no way that I can remove and install the new facia without destroying the current drip edge.
I can remove the old drip edge without damaging the asphalt shingles but is there any way to install a new drip edge without damaging the shingles?

#2 · (Edited)
Yes it can be done, but it's a real PITA.

You either have 4" or 6" drip edge, If you like the size you have take a small piece in when you go to purchase.

Galv. will be the best bet unless you like the manhandled look.

How old is the roof system?
Why are you sure the old drip edge has to go?

Can u pry old fascia away far enough to use a sawsall with ( Lenox metal blade on the nails?)

#3 ·
Sometimes You Can

I had some luck recently replacing fascia without taking off the drip edge. I pried the bottom portion out from the sub-fascia and then pried downward by getting my bar in behind the fascia. It's a pain and you have to go along and pull any fasteners that are stuck up there beneath the drip. Of course it all depends upopn what kind of fascia it is, how well fastened, etc.
:wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.