DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Roofing/Siding (
-   -   Drip Cap or Drip Rail (

joe3534 11-15-2006 05:14 PM

Drip Cap or Drip Rail
I'm in the process of replacing facia board around my home. I've removed all of the existing facia board, however, much of the drip rail has been bent. I would like to remove the existing drip rail by using a putty knife to raise the shingles and a sawzall to cut the nails in order to remove the drip rail. My question is, can this be accomplished in this manner and could I slip a new drip rail under the existing shingles and secure it with roofing cement? Thanks for your input. This may also answer the previous post.

redline 11-15-2006 07:13 PM

What is the reason to replace the fascia?

Drip edge = drip rail

joe3534 11-15-2006 07:14 PM

Facia was replace due to damage from dry wood termites.

redline 11-15-2006 07:17 PM

Do you have three tab style shingles?

joe3534 11-15-2006 08:03 PM


North Country 11-16-2006 12:25 AM

Shouldn't be a problem with the way your doing it.

mattflytx 09-18-2007 12:38 PM

Hey Joe, how did it go with the roofing cement and drip rail, did it work? I am in the process replacing the facia on my house and am trying to figure out the best way to install a new drip rail.

Big Bob 09-18-2007 03:38 PM

If Joe tried to remove his drip edge with a sawsall he may still be in the hospital.

Removal is usually done with a couple of flat bars.

When you put back with new:
Try to get some nails in the top of the drip edge. Pre-drill a few holes might help. Lots of cement.

Use galvanized drip edge / it will take manhandeling much better then the AL.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1