DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

drilling vent holes

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  ape 
#1 ·
hello there, its my first time here and my first question. we have just bought a house, its around 40 yrs old, our housing inspector has advised us to add insulation and some vent holes to our roof. i am basically a newbie when it comes to j obs like this, and i guess this could be a problem easily answered but i would like to know if i am doing anything wrong before i start. the problem is this. if i drill the holes and then add the insulation, and the insulation covers the holes is it ok to push down the insulation to allow the air to flow through the holes. i will have to drill pretty much close to the floor in the roof area.
i know its a simple qustion but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks and glad to be here,
Andrew

#3 ·
here is a very quick diagram i did of our roof. hope it explains a little better what i would like to do. (hope i uploaded correctly first of all).
i am not exactly sure what ridge and gable vents are, i think what you are referring to are the ones i have shown on the diagram, at the front and back of roof space and under the outside part of the roof too. is this right?
àanyway its just a case of how many holes i should drill (are is about 9 yds long) and how big andif its ok to somehow hold the insulation down (nail down/staplegun) to allow air to flow through them well.
thanks again for the help,
Andrew

Attachments

#4 ·
the very top of the triangle in your picture is the peak/ridge and runs from one end of the roof to another,you should put a ridge vent that goes from one end to the other (of the ridge),you really should call a pro, because you don`t want to be drilling holes in your roof,pay him for a consultation at the least cause I think you need things explained in detail,so you can understand it properly,wouldn`t hurt to pay the pro to do it properly either

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.