Down Pipe Guards Or Gutter Guards - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-14-2011, 02:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Down pipe guards or gutter guards

Do you have an opinion on gutter guards?
I read on this gutter cleaning website that down pipe guards are more effective than gutter guards.
I am in need of something to protect my gutters, as nearby trees are always donating debris onto my roof.
My options are limited by the fact that I can not remove the trees.

Basically what I want to know is when is it best to use a down pipe guard, and when is it best to use gutter guard?
The ease of installing a down pipe guard is swaying me that way, but I do not want to be wasting my effort if it is ineffective.

Advertisement

Laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 07:23 AM   #2
BIGRED

Rewards Points: 250

I have tried "down pipe gaurds" and gutter screens and gutter guards and it all depends on what types of trees you have, how many of any type of tree is within 100' of your building, and what kinds of donations you also get from the surronding 1000' area. Down pipe guards are by far the least effective method unless you are living in a two story farm house situated in the middle of a 10 acre farm field. Birds and squirrels will actually use the guards for framework to build their nests and further block the down pipe. Gutter screens are most effective on second story and higher gutters where there is little danger of debris and branches or twigs getting caught in the screens and forming a backdrop to catch leaves, debris, and more twigs to block and eventually collapse the screens thereby blocking the gutter. Gutter gaurds -the covered kind- when properly installed are 99.9% effective at keeping birds, squirrels, leaves, leaf casings, twigs, branches -up to about 3" diameter ones-, and most people out of the gutters and downpipes which were put up there in the first place just to carry off the rain so as not to ruin everything below.

Advertisement

Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

In my opinion, most everyone would be better served by utilizing the larger 3" x 4" downspout leader pipes instead of the 2" x 3" version most commonly installed, along with having enough of them placed within the run of the gutter troughs themselves.

Also, the more pitch that each gutter section has towards each downspout, they would drain more adequately. The standard rule of thumb per the organization who dictates specifications, SMACNA, dictates a "Maximum" run of 40 feet per each downspout. Personally, if the architecture allows for it, I would install them at a shorter distance.

For the costs associated with some of the more heavily advertised brands of gutter guard leaf protection devices, you could spend a small sum several times per year to hire a qualified handyman, roofer or guttering contractor to come out and clean out the existing gutters for 20 years and still not have spent as much as the cash required to have had the gutter guard system installed in the first place.

If, for the "down pipe guard", you mean the wire cage shaped like a light bulb that insets into the orifice of the drop outlet leading into the downspout, then I would quickly eliminate that as an effective option. They Always clog up the debris at the opening.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Ed the roofer and Grampa Bud are right I had to put new gutter up and went with the larger downspout, huge difference in the downspout clearing itself, changing downspouts could be done easily. It does depend on the tree type you have I put this type gaurd up by Amerimax it is a snap in type 3' long and was affordable, you need to do all gutters to be effective. This type will do no good with pine needles.
Attached Images

josall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #5

Definitely put larger downspouts that will help tremendously. But Gutter guards are much better that downspout guards the problem with downspout guards is that when your gutter gets debris in there all that debris will flow right to downspout guard causing it to get blocked up . To me they are useless. Most gutter guards are not 100% but they will work so you have to clean gutters every 3 years or so.
Gutterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:44 AM   #6

A gutter system acts as a water pipeline for the roof. It regulates water flow and ensures that it never makes the house foundation soaked and damp. When the house foundation is soaked, it weakens. It may not be noticed right away, but the house will gradually succumb to its effects. A clogged gutter will make a small pool of water, which can be a breeding ground of insects, such as mosquitoes. Water may seep through the fascia and soffits, which will result to damages and costly repairs.

However, no matter how many flaws can be spotted – they all actually work. One must know the right type of gutter cover for them. Depending on the surroundings and the type of debris that’s expected to come – any type will work. It’s always best to seek professional advice, and also suggestions from neighbor who currently own a gutter cover. The “too good to be true” guarantee of some brands like “you’ll never clean your gutters again” is a long shot. It’s impossible. A gutter cover can do the job, but the home owner shouldn’t be completely dependent on that. Regular checkups, clean-ups, and even learning to do self-repairs will prevent any serious problems and especially the advantage of saving money.
pearl123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:44 AM   #7

For what it is worth, here is a great little gutter guard comparison article for the Australian market. - http://www.squidoo.com/australia-gut...rd-comparisons

It compares four different mesh type gutter guard systems that are used in Australia. The article recommends Sydney gutter guard because of the guarantee and the fact that you can install it your self.

As far as I am concerned, I would want a professional installer, or a roofer to install it, as I think if they are installed incorrectly, they could actually cause some major damage.
Laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:58 AM   #8
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Gutter gaurds -the covered kind- when properly installed are 99.9% effective at keeping birds, squirrels, leaves, leaf casings, twigs, branches -up to about 3" diameter ones-, and most people out of the gutters and downpipes which were put up there in the first place just to carry off the rain so as not to ruin everything below.[/QUOTE]

Can you translate this passge into the kings english?

Advertisement

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote