Dormer Leak - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Dormer Leak

I have a wall in my living room that goes directly up to the dormer and includes the window. I am getting water coming down inside the wall. It only tends to happen when we have blowing rain. I have caulked all around the window and I don't believe it is the problem. THe sill doesn't show any water damage. The leak usually comes down directly above the left hand side corner of the dormer, every once in a while it's on the other side. I had some guys out that pulled the vinyl siding off and flashed the corners higher (didn't make sense to me).

To make a long story short. I plan to dig in to it myself. I feel like the corner is the problem and I was going to install something like this on both corner. I would really appreciate anyone's help that has gone through this or fixed it. I really want a water tight seal. It's very upsetting having water coming in every time we get a good rain.

http://doitbest.com/Main.aspx?PageID...paign=DATAFEED

I have done some reading as well and seen some people use step flashing along the side is that something I should consider as well? I want to do this right. Also, I'm not sure how or where exactly to use ice and water shield. ANy help would be greatly appreciated. IF you have any pictures that would be a HUGE help. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I also found this article. Is this how I should do it?

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-...on-a-roof.aspx

Advertisement

Last edited by halbbd01; 03-15-2010 at 03:07 PM.
halbbd01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,038

Dormer Leak

See if this article I put up can help you. It sounds as if it's typical self-destruct construction like I've detailed on 3-4 pages.. Let me know how it goes. http://www.albertsroofing.com/Window%20Flashing.htm

Advertisement

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote