Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-21-2007, 11:42 AM   #1

Share |

dont like what contractor had to say

I had a contractor come out to look at this roofing job and see what he was thinking and it just doesn't sound right to me.He wants to put in a reverse gable roof over to open area that will get closed in for an entry way and tie it to the top of the roof on the left in the photo and remove the section in the rear.now my concern all along has been the difference in hight on the left and right and where all the roof angels tie together in the back but after hearing this it raised a new concern for me so I asked him "if you do that wont that just make all the snow and ice slide down to the nearly flat side on the right." Now I am no pro but I do know how water ,ice and snow flows and I also know that section on the right is not at the right pitch but his answer after I pushed it some more was "we will probably have to put some wire like radiant heating in the valley but we will make it work" I am sorry but this just don't sound right to me how about anyone else? I was thinking more of raising the pitch of the roof some to help with runoff and maybe a rubber roof all the way across although I would like to have some kind of gabled roof I just don't see it.any suggestions or questions I may want to ask the next contractor would be most welcomed

clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:53 PM   #2

I thought someone would have something to say but I guess I could be wrong

Old 07-24-2007, 04:07 PM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

That is not just a simple little roofing problem.

You have ant entry in a "cave" surrounded by 3 or 4 different roofs the dump water where you do not want it. Changing the roof a little and using ice and water will not solve the problem.

Contact a contractor to see about doing something with the big picture. It will cost more, but it will be an end to current problems and future problems (particularly with the roof to the right) and may give you more space and other options with the space you have.

Playing with the existing roof lines will still leave you with a wet door at the end of a tunnel.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:40 PM   #4

I have contacted several contractors the first one to come back with an ideal and a cost was what I was refering to in my first post and I just dont think his plan is right or very workable.I really dont need more space I got 4200 now and I am working on closing that "cave" area off and I deffinatly hope the next contractor comes up with a better solution
Old 07-24-2007, 09:56 PM   #5

You need an architect first. You are missing a step. After the architect draws up your plans, then you should be calling contractors to do the work.
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 09:28 AM   #6

There are too many roof lines,slopes and constructs. Unify them all by removing all the roof structure and conceptually tie them together. You might find that some walls should come down to give better flow in the structure.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:38 AM   #7

I had another contractor out yesterday and he suggested removeing the almost flat roof to the right and just tieing into the roof above it and running that line all the way to the left side.He thinks it can be done at a resonable cost and would solve all the roofing problems.He will be back this weekend if the storms let up with his structual engineer to make sure and then work up a cost.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:25 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

need more photos to tell you anything intelligent
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:11 AM   #9

WOW!!! Just came across this thread. Did he say this pic was of his entry? Wonder what the outcome was?

rossmoor is offline   Reply With Quote