DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

dome roof - shingles / tin ??

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Ed the Roofer 
#1 ·
We have just bought a dome home, and the roof is in very bad shape. A lot of the under ply near the lower end will have to be replaced.
Question 1) if the rafters need to be replaced can I just cut away as much of the bad ones as needed and add new ones beside it.
I very much would like to go tin. ( there are 12 spruce trees around the home, and that is much of the problem as the acid in the pine is shortning the life of the shingles)
Question 2) what you call I&W is that the same as dine dam( 32" wide,like macktac you peel the paper off and it sticks to the wood, and where you put a nail in it , it seals around the nail? )
so if using tin I am just wondering about all the ridge caps being as there are so many , the valleys are no problem, but all the hips, is there some new way to cover them ?
Thank You for your help

See less See more
#2 ·
A roofing contractor who installs standing seam metal roof panels or metal shingles will need to use pre-manufactured metal hip cap shingles for the metal shingles and a continuous length of hip cap metal, which connects to two pieces of a type of J-channel metal.

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.