DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Roofing/Siding (
-   -   dome roof - shingles / tin ?? (

hal12345 09-22-2007 08:35 PM

dome roof - shingles / tin ??
We have just bought a dome home, and the roof is in very bad shape. A lot of the under ply near the lower end will have to be replaced.
Question 1) if the rafters need to be replaced can I just cut away as much of the bad ones as needed and add new ones beside it.
I very much would like to go tin. ( there are 12 spruce trees around the home, and that is much of the problem as the acid in the pine is shortning the life of the shingles)
Question 2) what you call I&W is that the same as dine dam( 32" wide,like macktac you peel the paper off and it sticks to the wood, and where you put a nail in it , it seals around the nail? )
so if using tin I am just wondering about all the ridge caps being as there are so many , the valleys are no problem, but all the hips, is there some new way to cover them ?
Thank You for your help

Ed the Roofer 09-22-2007 10:00 PM

A roofing contractor who installs standing seam metal roof panels or metal shingles will need to use pre-manufactured metal hip cap shingles for the metal shingles and a continuous length of hip cap metal, which connects to two pieces of a type of J-channel metal.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1