Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2010, 11:48 PM   #1

Share |

Does this sound legit?

My husband and I are looking for a new home and found a perfect one. the disclosure form came back showing there was a roof leak in the past. I am in WA state and below is his response. Keep in mind this is a home that is 5 years old. We currently own a 5 year old home and had a roof leak and it took 2 years of fighting with the builder, our furnace vent wasn't secured properly and leaked in to the garage and thankfully it was still under warranty because it would have cost a fortune the amount of times they had to come out. Anyway, I know NOTHING about homes and not sure if this sounds true, and it it was really the case if you think this issue has been solved... again I am in RAINY Washington, Any guidance is appreciated.

response from Realtor;
I just spoke with the seller and in fact there was a small roof leak a couple years ago. As you have probably seen when they hang siding on new homes they attach the scaffolding to the roof. When the scaffolding was removed they never patched the small holes that were left. A few years later he noticed in the master where the leak was showing from the roof. He patched the area where the scaffolding was attached and repaired any damage. There have not been any issues since. I will have him right the explanation on page 5 and initial it. I will then get the revised page to you

canadianmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:00 AM   #2

Does this sound legit?

What kind of roof does this house have?

Mabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:06 AM   #3

Does this sound legit?

Listing says Composition

Here is a pic not close up but this is the outside of the home, hopepfully this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Does this sound legit?-67516_484328046647_518861647_7498895_3907639_n.jpg  
canadianmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:19 AM   #4

Does this sound legit?

The roof looks really good, most the time with shingle roofs like that a shingle will come loose and allow water too leak in, I'd say when the siding guys attached the scaffolding to the roof they lifted a few shingles, and just never sealed them back down.

It's not a big deal to fix, just put some tar under the loose shingle and stick it back down, if the guy fixed it then I'd say you shouldn't have the leak again.

You might want to check over the whole roof though and look for anymore loose shingles.
Mabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:48 AM   #5

Does this sound legit?

Scaffolding nailed into the roof for siding?On that house?I don't why they would have had to,Don't make sense to me.But I'm no sider,although I have done a whole lot of it
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
Doing This Way Too Long

Does this sound legit?

real common and real annoying around here. In new constructions the roof is always done first, then the siders come in and nail their pole jack supports straight into the shingles. When they are done they just yank out the nails and leave. Some at least try to go under the shingles. Numerous times I have gone up and seen everything from 16d nails just bent over in the shingle to torn shingles to nail holes wide open.

Yes, this very well could be what happened and no, it's not a difficult issue. You should be able to tell this week if it is fixed since it's been raining good all weekend. I'm assuming you are on the rusty side of the state. Get a roofer to inspect it for peace of mind if you need to.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:23 PM   #7

Does this sound legit?

is this your first home? if so dont do it. it never farking ends. trust me.

federer is offline   Reply With Quote