DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

This does not look right...

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Gymschu 
#1 ·
I got a ladder out to take a look at my gutters and noticed this opening, I am worried that water is able to get in from this opening. I bought my house about 6 years ago and it was already sided. If I look closer I can see wood in the back of the hole. This is a 1979 house, originally built with cement shingles. Any suggestions?

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
It looks like it has step flashings installed,albeit not that well going by the bump at the second course.
You can try to find the original installer, but you might be better off just calling someone. That is a minor repair/adjustment. A kickout installed, fix the j channel its really not a huge job.
The shingles could use little overhang past the lip of the drip edge, as well.

#5 ·
Reactions: tinner666
#10 ·
In defense of contractors, it's the absolute peak of the busy season. Most have jobs lined up from calls in the late winter/early spring. Most are booked 'til winter. I know it seems rude not to come out and give an estimate, but, when you have your schedule booked solid and you have down payments locking you in, well, the small jobs can be a real burden to the schedule.

#6 ·
I was wondering about that.

In any case here are some photos. I question even with a kick out, is there enough flashing to prevent water intrusion. It looks like they might have used two different flashing.

Should I attempt to find out who installed it and have them fix it and make sure there is nothing damaged by mold or rot? I have no idea how long ago it was installed.

Attachments

#8 ·
Apparently it is hard to find a contractor to do work, I have called a few places and some don't do jobs this small, don't even respond, or one came out and then never got back to me. You think in this day in age, I would have people lining up...

Anyway, as i don't want this to become more of a problem, it looks like it is very small/difficult to put a flashing kickout in there. I bought a .50 piece of flashing and I am wondering how I put it in there as it is fairly tight. I am pretty sure I put it underneath the flashing that is already there and have it pitch down towards the gutter. Do I need to remove any siding? Do I just trim the flashing to size, cut a section of it so i can create an L shape with lower part being under the higher part, then have it angel down towards the gutter? Most of the sites I have seen, seem to show much bigger holes than this one.

Thanks in advance,

Solaritu

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.