Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2010, 10:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Do I need to vent my shop?

Hey guys, got a rookie question here.

I have an unheated, uninsulated shed which I use mainly for storing empty beer bottles and making sawdust. I believe it is original to my 1909 bungalow in eastern Washington.

It is about 12' x 20', hip roof, maybe 12' from floor to the peak of the roof. From outside the ridge seems to run about 8ft.

On the south and east it is partially shaded (up to about the roof line) by my house, my neighbor's, and a small tree. The property is on a slight slope which contributes to the shade from the homes. Also there is quite a bit of concrete due to the slope which might regulate the temperature somewhat. It stays real comfortable in the summer although I'm sure it heats up some in the rafters.

Anyway, the previous owner left a few squares of shingles and some felt from when the house was re-roofed a few years back ('nother story). The shop wasn't done at that point and the existing shingles are curling and starting to come off, especially on the south facing hip.

I'd like to get these materials out of my shop and the logical place to put them is up on the roof; assuming they are of decent quality... otherwise I suppose they should go in the bin. The roof deck appears to be in good shape. No visible signs of water damage or anything looking at the plywood from inside.

My basic plan would be to remove the two layers of existing shingles, fix damage if I find it, add felt, add shingles. Maybe reuse the drip edge if it comes off clean?

My question is whether and how I need to vent this roof. There is no ventilation now other than the drafty walls. There is no ceiling and no plans or need for one. I do plan to seal up the leaks and possibly add some rigid insulation at some point. No heating or cooling other than running a small space heater once in a while.

I know the importance of roof vents in a home and if you guys say I need them in my shop I'll put them in. However I don't want to over complicate this project or cut unnecessary holes in a perfectly dry roof

Hope I've provided enough info. Open to opinions.

Thanks,
-sean

sgirard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:49 AM   #2

No need to vent unless the garage is heated and/or insulated.
Sounds like you plan to have occasional heat, so venting might be a good thing.
As single vent on the back side might be a way to do it.

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhaslip View Post
As single vent on the back side might be a way to do it.
Thanks jlhaslip. I had thought about vent out the back. As the joists come together to form the hip it seems like I would need to get fairly low (maybe 1/3 to halfway down the slope) to fit something between them. Does that seem like a problem?
sgirard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:20 PM   #4

top third of the roof would be best.
as high as possible.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jlhaslip For This Useful Post:
sgirard (04-07-2010)