Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2012, 12:47 AM   #1

Share |

Do architectural shingles way considerably more than a cedar shake roof?

Confused new member here.

I live in Alaska. My 32 year old shake roof (house built in 1952) needs replacing. I'm considering replacing the cedar with architectural shingles, but I'm concerned about the weigh difference between the two.

Two different roofing contractors have told me opposing views--one says the old cedar shake roof and all its contents ( shakes, felt, whatever) doesn't weigh much less than a new architectural shingled roof and all its contents.

The other contrator says the difference between cedar and shingle is more than double.

Anyone care to chime in? I hate to add a whole lot of weight to the roof of my old house.

Thanks!

tork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:13 AM   #2
Exterior Construction

They are not more than double.

They usually weight about 2 - 3 lbs per square foot and there is some variability with rain and moisture accumulation.

It is going to be a near toss up between most of the dimensional shingles out there now and cedar.

Depends on the thickness and type cedar as well.

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #3

http://www.mcvicker.com/resguide/page011.htm

http://www.certainteed.com/learning-...ofing/?qid=149

Gary
Old 06-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #4

well lets see = dimensional shingles weigh 240 pounds per square. ofcourse you can buy dimensional shingles that weigh more. shakes = 5 bundles per square. each bundle weighs about hmmm about 30 pounds = 150 pounds per square, ofccourse thats dry, we all know when wood get wet it weighs a lot more. you also have #30 felt = 30 pounds so all and all the dimensional shingles might weigh more when shakes are dry but when there wet they might weigh more. most houses are rated for around 1000 pounds per square weight. but now if you have shakes then you should have spaced sheeting which means you need plywood but still youll be fine. best thing is to contact your local building department and find out what you can put on.
hotrod351 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:15 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

Don't forget that shingles gain weight with water as well. Not to the same extent wood does but they do hold water.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote