DIY Spray On Roof Foam - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

DIY Spray on Roof Foam

Hi,
I am looking into doing a foam roof over a small add on room on my house. This addition is the only area with a flat roof. I want to do it for the added insulating factors. It is this or build a completely "new" roof raised on height to make room for more insulation.

We get insanely hot weather in the summer. Like 120% so I'm sue even 1" of foam would make a difference.

I'm looking at an area that is about 15 feet by 40.

I called the only guy in town that does foam roofing. He would not give me a bid for the small roof. Just told me the complete roof on the whole house is shot. And is going to be torn off in the next storm, so need to foam complete roof for the low price of $15,000.00.

Well as the shingles slop roof looks great, has no leaks and is only 13 years old.. I think he is full of BS, so I will not use him.

So it is trust this guy, or DOY time.

I know I need closed cell high density so I can walk on it.

So any advise? Like what brands/Kits to go with, and so on.

I thank you all for your help. I am assuming this is the place to post and not in the insulation area.

Advertisement

tom1336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:34 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

DIY Spray on Roof Foam

It would be hard to get a foam rig on a job that small. You would be much better off installing polyisocyanurate insulation board to do your roof. It is also a closed cell foam, you get the same R-6 per inch. You can add several inches this way and then some type of roof membrane and be cheaper than have a foam rig. The polyiso is carried in all the roof supply houses.

Advertisement

roofnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,318

DIY Spray on Roof Foam

Rigid foam, properly sealed and covered, is the way to go.

They sell it at HD and Lowes as well.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
seeyou (08-03-2012)
Old 08-02-2012, 07:20 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,166

DIY Spray on Roof Foam

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofnron View Post
It would be hard to get a foam rig on a job that small.
I had 162 lineal feet of rim joist and a side wall of about 200 sq feet spray foamed for less than $900 by a local spray foam company. Dont mind the dimaensions on the chandelier. I was trying to sell it in that photo.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Spray on Roof Foam-100_5533.jpg   DIY Spray on Roof Foam-1111111.jpg   DIY Spray on Roof Foam-22222222.jpg   DIY Spray on Roof Foam-333333333.jpg  

Last edited by hammerlane; 03-05-2013 at 10:18 AM.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #5

DIY Spray on Roof Foam

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerlane View Post
I had 162 lineal feet of rim joist and a side wall of about 200 sq feet spray foamed for less than $900 by a local spray foam company. Dont mind the dimaensions on the chandelier. I was trying to sell it in that photo.
I believe exterior foam cost more as it is a different mix. More UV resistant and much more dense so you can walk in it.

Last edited by tom1336; 08-02-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

DIY Spray on Roof Foam

Quote:

Great price to have a pro rig come out and do that considering it would have taken at least 2, maybe 3, foam paks to do the work yourself.
roofnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:16 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,166

DIY Spray on Roof Foam

Quote:
Great price to have a pro rig come out and do that considering it would have taken at least 2, maybe 3, foam paks to do the work yourself.
To be honest his price was about $200 more. I asked him to do it for $875. We could not come to an agreement. He called about 6 weeks later on a Tuesday evening saying he had a job that cancelled on Thursday and that he would do mine for the $875 on Thursday. And the rest is history.
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,318

DIY Spray on Roof Foam

Quote:

+1 and the froth pack quality is crap compared to a professional reactor/rig.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:07 PM   #9

DIY Spray on Roof Foam

Quote:
To be honest his price was about $200 more. I asked him to do it for $875. We could not come to an agreement. He called about 6 weeks later on a Tuesday evening saying he had a job that cancelled on Thursday and that he would do mine for the $875 on Thursday. And the rest is history.
Never hurts to polity ask for a reasonable discount, and to even be willing to have the work done when the "crew" would otherwise be without work.

Advertisement