Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2010, 05:28 PM   #1

Share |

DIY roof replacement

An update:

A while back I made a post regarding replacing cedar shakes with asphalt shingles. My house has a 35 sq roof, 7 in 12 pitch, and the cedar shakes were past their best and needed replacing. In a moment of pure DIY masochism I decided to do it myself. Here are the results for anyone interested...

It was definitely an experience, but hopefully this will let all those out there know that it is possible for a competent (and insanely determined) DIYer to attempt something like this. I'm really happy with the look, but I wait on the next storm before I toot my horn too loudly... We've had rain and all went well, but not rain and wind. I still need to touch up the siding where I damaged it getting the step flashing out (see 'The bad parts) but otherwise it's finished.

The good parts: The satisfaction of doing it yourself and seeing a brand new roof. The learning experience.

The bad parts: The aches, pains, cuts, scrapes, abraded finger nails, bruises etc etc. Yellowjackets. The previous roofer who used several industrial staples to attach each step flashing to the wall under the siding. Yellowjackets. Tidying up afterwards. Yellowjackets. The architect who made some questionable design decisions. Did I mention the yellowjackets?

Would I do it again? Hopefully I don't have to! But if we move house, I think I'll pay the pros to do it. Not because I didn't enjoy the roofing, but I literally have had no free time for the last few weeks. At the weekend it was sleep - roof - sleep. During the week it was sleep - work - roof - sleep.

I'll keep you posted on the results of the first storm of the season!

Cheers
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
DIY roof replacement-before.jpg   DIY roof replacement-after.jpg  

spiragui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
Doing This Way Too Long

DIY roof replacement

I must say you couldn't have picked much more difficult roof to learn on.
I don't know of a time I have worked over there that it hasn't rained. You lucked out.

Looks good from here. Like you said, time will tell.

OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:46 PM   #3

DIY roof replacement

Thanks OldnBroken! And also thanks to anyone else that offered their advice. Couldn't have done this without it.

Alas though, it did rain. Right at the point when we had torn off the old covering under the illusion (delusion?) that we had a two day run of sunshine to get the synthetic underlayment on... The neighbours must have had a bit of a laugh watching us hurriedly try and emergency dry-in the roof! In Seattle, '30% chance of rain' means something along the lines of 'It'll drizzle constantly all day'.

One weekend it drizzled constantly. The next weekend it was so hot I couldn't handle the shingles, plus I was stripping the granules off the shingles if I stood on them. You just can't win!

Cheers
Chris
Old 09-05-2010, 10:56 PM   #4

DIY roof replacement

yea that roof is way complicated. what a DIY! thanks for sharing
federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:45 PM   #5

DIY roof replacement

Looks really good from afar,lol.Got to hand it to you though,that is a tough one to learn on.Hope you have a dry future!!
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #6

DIY roof replacement

Thanks guys.

I told my wife that the next house we move into will have be a 10 square, 4 in 12 simple gable roof.

Slight rain last night, but nothing serious yet. Next storm I'll either be cheering triumphantly, or asking you guys how to fix something!

Cheers
Chris
Old 09-08-2010, 10:44 AM   #7

DIY roof replacement

I've done a lot of things and now in the middle of a reroof, I can honestly say this has to be one of the most physically demanding jobs. Your final product does look great though!
amdspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #8

DIY roof replacement

Thanks amdspitfire.

I concur with the physical demands. The cuts and scrapes are part and parcel of any DIY job, but it's the strain on ankles and knees because of the pitch of the roof. Your ankles are almost never at a normal angle. Maybe exacerbated by the hours I was working (12+ at the weekend), but nevertheless...

You start carrying around multiple bundles of shingles up and down a steep pitch roof and your joints will soon let you know!

Cheers
Chris
Old 09-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #9

DIY roof replacement

wow! great job...like you said ...you have to be insanely determined,,,I just finished mine last week...it took 9 days...no rain but hot like hell...my knees are killing me....and yes it was a 4 in 12 hip roof...with a valley...felt safe standing on it..much easier than what you had to deal with...add one to your "bucket list:.
sore hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 09:23 PM   #10
Doing This Way Too Long

DIY roof replacement

You start getting used to it after the first 25 years or so. Figured out where I got my screen name yet?

Many roofers work very hard for what they earn. People think they overcharge until they've actually got a taste of what they do.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 10:53 PM   #11

DIY roof replacement

its definitely a high skilled labor. big props to all the good roofers out there
federer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #12

DIY roof replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
You start getting used to it after the first 25 years or so. Figured out where I got my screen name yet?

Many roofers work very hard for what they earn. People think they overcharge until they've actually got a taste of what they do.
You are right, now that I am trying it out I really don't think its worth the 4-5k savings.

amdspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote