DIY Roof Replacement - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2014, 01:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

DIY Roof Replacement

Hello Friends,
I'm about to tackle the project of replacing my wood shake roof with asphalt shingles.

My roof is about 3k sq ft, 5/12 pitch. It isn't very complex: L-shaped ranch with two valleys and 4-5 vent pipes + chimney. The house was built in the early 60s and has venting at the ends of the attic at the peak.

My questions:
1) When I remove the wood shingles (2 layers) and expose the spaced sheathing, should I remove the 1x4 sheathing, too? I've heard that the new decking should be placed directly on the rafters. While the old sheathing isn't much weight, lighter is better, right? (Should I mention that I'm an aircraft engineer?)

2) Ventilation. I'm planning to add soffit vents. Do I also need louvered vents near the peak?

It's a good-sized project, but I'm up for the task. I have a background in construction (pre-college), and I have plenty of help from my 15 yr old son and his friends.

Thanks!
Dave

Advertisement

KSGolfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:02 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,292

DIY Roof Replacement

If the decking is good, don't remove it. If it is good, it will take the shingle install and don't waste the money on plywood.

Soffits, if balanced properly with ridge vent, are sufficient. You need exhaust NFA for every intake NFA. Err on the side of more intake (60-40 split) if you do.

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 686

DIY Roof Replacement

Hire it out.
Way to big a job to try and DIY without a real crew.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 153

DIY Roof Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGolfnut View Post
Hello Friends,
I'm about to tackle the project of replacing my wood shake roof with asphalt shingles.

My roof is about 3k sq ft, 5/12 pitch. It isn't very complex: L-shaped ranch with two valleys and 4-5 vent pipes + chimney. The house was built in the early 60s and has venting at the ends of the attic at the peak.

My questions:
1) When I remove the wood shingles (2 layers) and expose the spaced sheathing, should I remove the 1x4 sheathing, too? I've heard that the new decking should be placed directly on the rafters. While the old sheathing isn't much weight, lighter is better, right? (Should I mention that I'm an aircraft engineer?)

2) Ventilation. I'm planning to add soffit vents. Do I also need louvered vents near the peak?

It's a good-sized project, but I'm up for the task. I have a background in construction (pre-college), and I have plenty of help from my 15 yr old son and his friends.

Thanks!
Dave
We leave the 1by sheathing in place and cover with OSB. Shingle vent on the ridge looks better than multiple box vents near the peak.
roofermann is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to roofermann For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (07-30-2014)
Old 07-30-2014, 08:46 PM   #5

DIY Roof Replacement

Thanks for the comments everyone.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:31 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 624

DIY Roof Replacement

this is a diy forum. Of course you can do it yourself.

Just take one section of the roof at a time.

I like to go with a fully vented metal soffit. A guy told me once that I could never exhaust that much square footage through the peak. I told him it didn't matter, that it would also exhaust on the opposite side of the house.

Anyway, no one ever complained that their roof was over ventilated.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 10:44 PM   #7

DIY Roof Replacement

Thanks, cleveman. I've taken on some pretty big projects. My wife is skeptical, so part of my drive to completion is to deflect the "eyes bigger than my stomach" claims.

And I like the idea of a fully vented metal soffit. Even if it won't all exhaust out the peak, it'll create a slight positive pressure in the attic - a good thing.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:16 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 207

DIY Roof Replacement

"Don't do it yourself forum."

1) Set up scaffolding on the side of your roof
2) Get a harness kit with rope

You can still fall off 5/12 roof and become a quad.
begal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:45 PM   #9

DIY Roof Replacement

If one can't roof a house without falling off the roof, they may as well die because they won't make a positive contribution to the gene pool anyway.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:53 PM   #10

DIY Roof Replacement

No way would I ever use a metal ridge vent, looks like poop.
Let us know how this works out for you. We've seen post after post on how people want to save money and do there own roofs.
Gets real old real quick trying to get all those sheets of OSB up there, while working on an open roof, trying to line up the H clips, then make 90 plus trips up the ladder carrying 75 LB. bundles of shingles.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:30 PM   #11

DIY Roof Replacement

I've never seen a metal ridge vent, but I bet it would indeed be ugly.

As far as getting osb up on a roof, I came up with a good way to do it.

First, you have the stack of osb delivered close to the structure. Then you put two sawhorses up perpendicular to the structure and set the osb sheets on them vertically so that on a ranch home they are sticking up past the roof line about 3'. This will involve manually placing them on the saw horses.

Standing on the roof, you simply swing these up on the roof and walk with them. First thing you do is put a course on the bottom where you are working.

This has worked great for me.

As for the shingles, I have had them conveyed on the roof and simply set up there by the pallet and unloaded and spread out on the roof. Again, a bit of work, but no big deal.

I would never slog shingles up a ladder. If such a task were necessary, I would shift them up maybe 4' a lift on a set of scaffolding or even off a livestock rack on a pickup truck.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:49 PM   #12

DIY Roof Replacement

Thanks again, Cleveman. It might have been 20 years ago, but when I was in college, I worked 4 summers for a metal building company and put on many roofs up 30 feet in the air. Never even had a close call. It's about paying attention and being smart.

LOVE the idea of the sawhorses and vertical OSB. I plan on having the shingles conveyed. If that isn't available, I have a few other options to lift 'em up there.

Very much appreciate the ideas and considerations. Keep 'em coming.

Dave
Old 08-02-2014, 10:09 PM   #13

DIY Roof Replacement

Home Depot rents a laddarvator.
It will lift up the shingles and the OSB if roof tops not available.
Never ever lay the shingles over the peak of the roof. If there still in the bundle ever one of them will crack.
Lay them flat.
I'd never leave the skip sheathing on the roof.
Going to complicate adding the drip cap and leave an open gap when adding the hopefully wrapped fascia.
Wait until you try to add that last nail at the end of the shingles. It's going to try and bounce every time you hit the nail.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:18 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,300

DIY Roof Replacement

Just remember one thing about DIYing your own roof: You won't save as much money as you think you will. By the time you add up the tools, materials, your valuable free time, etc. you will have almost as much in it as a roofing company. Many roofing companies do the job in one day, clean up, take your old roofing to the landfill, take the risks of being on the roof, and wrap things up in a hurry. Doing it yourself takes one guy many weekends and evenings to geterdone. Just a heads up.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:40 PM   #15

DIY Roof Replacement

Plus the tarps to cover the roof, bushes, magnets to pick up the nails, hook blades.
Just knowing how to flash around vents, chimneys, what to do when your ending up with short pieces on the ends, how much over hang to have, what lengths to cut the first shingles in a row, how to install a roof jack, ECT.
Someone on the ground precutting sheathing, starters, caps, cleaning up.

Advertisement

Tags
asphalt , decking , roof , shakes , sheathing