DIY Metal Roof - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

DIY Metal Roof

Last month, we bought a moldy old 1958 split level. Everything needs to be refinished and re-done. Previous roof was shingles, but we quickly learned nto to use shingles (without expecting catastrophic failures) on this low-slope roof.

Enough intro, we will begin standing seam metal roof installation as soon as permit dept says we can. Applying this week. We have measured and re-measured, drawn it out, found a supplier, and bought the tools (we think) we need. We're using ridge vents. We're using grey boots. Any installation tips before we get started?

Tried to upload pic, but no good. I will see if I can do it later if anyone is interested.

Advertisement

harringtona1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

DIY Metal Roof

What pitch?
Link us to the metal roof manufacturer's site for the installation guidelines.
Be certain to follow their instructions to the "tee", or the warranty is void.
Do you have a rag, vice grip pliers and a rope for getting the pieces up to the roof?
Plan on laying down black roof paper under the metal because it sweats when the climatic conditions are right.
Besides, it gives you an extra layer of protection.

Sounds like you will need to add some ventilation to the attic as well to avoid further issues with mould.

Advertisement

Last edited by jlhaslip; 10-18-2010 at 09:03 PM.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:25 PM   #3
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,038

DIY Metal Roof

Hope these details help. http://www.albertsroofing.com/Tin%20...to_gallery.htm And I have many others at this online photo gallery. http://www.rooferscoffeeshop.com/pho..._list.asp?u=30
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:26 AM   #4

DIY Metal Roof

Thanks for the notes, guys. The slope is 1.5/12, by the way.
I looked at those cleats. I had forgotten that we will also be installing a solar pool heater on part of the roof. Did you make those yourself?
Old 10-20-2010, 06:29 PM   #5
Pro Slate Roofer

DIY Metal Roof

There is very little that I don't hand make, or use a break for.. Not sure of the solar panels, but it could be that a heavier metal cleat could handle the load, but wind could be an issue depending on where you are.
I assume your're talking about the accessory cleats?
A solar panel bracket looks like this one and I believe if could be incorporated into the roof some way.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY Metal Roof-accesssory-cleats-6-.jpg   DIY Metal Roof-solar-panel-bracket-3-.jpg  
Old 10-20-2010, 06:32 PM   #6
Pro Slate Roofer

DIY Metal Roof

If you bought hand tongs, I hope you got the Malco S'3. Straight ones have nearly zero use for metal roofing.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:48 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

DIY Metal Roof

http://www.s-5.com/home/index.cfm
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #8

DIY Metal Roof

Well, we are 9 days into our metal roof project - the high roof. Interesting that nobody mentioned that the real work is in prepping the roof! Removing shingles, tar paper, nails left from the tar paper before the old tar paper, rotted boards, rotted rafters and rafter tails to replace, removing blow-in insulation, installing new insulation, removing some old giant cementitious vent from an old furnace, repairing crap electrical work with 3 days of intermittent rain needing a giant tarp from Harbor Freight... We'll finish buttoning it up next weekend. Metal roof doesn't even get on until the following weekend. But in the meantime, we are busily hemming each panel - that is some tedious work. This project has a LOT of lessons!!
Old 11-08-2010, 09:04 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

DIY Metal Roof

My wife and my neighbour have been pushing me to consider a metal roof, but until a few weeks ago, I simply ruled any kind of metal roofing out as being out of the realm of even avid DIY'ers. I guess seeing me up there patching the existing three-tab shingles several times per year has lost its entertainment value for them, so I have finally started seriously looking in to metal roofing.

I, for one, would love to see photos of the work you're doing!
KAdams4458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:21 AM   #10

DIY Metal Roof

I would love to see the pictures too. I have been told that metal roofs are very durable and I would love to put one on my house but didnt think it was a DIY deal. Please let me know how hard it was and what all was needed. Thank you so much!!!!
Medic507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:13 AM   #11

DIY Metal Roof

I'd love to help out. FYI, in Florida, if you have a very low-slope roof, you can't even use shingles. That made our decision easy. We have some of the tar paper up now and will begin with panels this weekend. I will post pics early next week. Keep your fingers crossed!

Advertisement