Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2010, 03:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Diverting water at the bottom of the downspout

Fairly new to this site but really like another online forum about motorcycling and have gotten lots of good information so I figured why not try this place out for my home improvement. I Hope I am asking this question in the right place. If not someone tell me where to post.

First my info:

I live in Seaside CA installed a new roof and seemless gutters last year. Currently at the bottom of each gutter I either have concrete or a brick to keep the water from washing the soil (basically beach sand) away. I am interested in installing the things (please tell me what they are called?) that you can place on the bottom of the downspout to route the water a little ways away. I see some of them go underground.

Here is the Question:

If I run these things down into the ground how far do I need to run them away from the cement perimeter foundation? How deep? Do I need to install gravel around the where the water comes out?

My soil is just like beach sand as I am only about a mile from the beach. It drains very quickly.

Thanks in advance!

DIYTKINNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Okay so I have been doing my own research while waiting on a response. Looks like I need a french drain. I've checked out how to do it on YOUTUBE and have a good grasp of using perforated pipe with a sock covering it, gravel, and the other matting to keep the pipe clean. So my question now is.

1. How do I determine that my drain is long enough to drain each downspout.

DIYTKINNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 852

they are downspout extensions. usually they come in 10ft long pvc pipes. the ones you talk about though are different-french drain is around the permiter of the foundation underneath teh ground. usually you dont need that for gutter.
federer is offline   Reply With Quote