Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2012, 12:18 PM   #1

Share |

Difficulty Choosing Roof Color - Please Help

PLEASE HELP! I've been searching for the perfect roof color for more than 6 months now. I need to make a final decision and finally get the roof done!

I don't know why this is such a tough decision, but I've uploaded a photo of my house to the GAF and Owen Corning websites and used different color shingles on their virtual visualizers, but nothing is looking good. The house has pale yellow siding, brownish/red bricks and dark brown trim. Also need to match the steps and retaining wall which has crab orchard stone which is yellowish/tan. I think the house looks good the way it is, but I can't decide on a new dimensional shingle color and if I should go darker.

I've been back and forth between GAF Weathered Wood (grayish brown?), Owens Corning Desert Tan (brighter light brown), Tamko Natural Timber (combination of different browns) or Tamko Weathered Wood (seems to be more brown than gray like GAF's Weathered Wood).

I was thinking of using a medium brown with yellowish/tan shadows. Kind of like a chocolate milk brown with shadows. I see houses in my neighborhood that fit that desciription, but I can't figure out what shingle it is. Does Weathered Wood appear that way?

Basically, I don't know if I should go with a grayish brown, multi colored browns, brighter light brown.

Can you please take a look at my house and let me know what color roof would go best. I'm considering changing the trim color to a lighter tan if that would help everything blend better and maybe a tan storm door.

Besides the colors I've shown below, please feel free to offer other suggestions. It's hard to tell how the whole roof will look by just looking at the swatches, so anyone who does roofing for a living and is familiar with the full outcome would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Tamko - Natural Timber

Tamko - Weathered Wood

GAF Timberline - Weathered Wood

Owens Corning Tru Def - Desert Tan

Last edited by ChitChat; 09-14-2012 at 12:29 PM.
ChitChat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #2

Out of those options, Desert Tan.....just my humble opinion.....

Old 09-16-2012, 01:33 AM   #3

I agree with AG ......

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #4

You can upload a photo of your home and play around with different shingle colors on the Owens Corning website. Their designer color collections are great and can really help you pull a lot of your color elements together. Check a local supply for shingle sample boards that you can take home for final thoughts on color.
Woodenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:01 PM   #5

I can see where this would be a difficult decision. You have quite a few design elements going on. Vertical siding in front, some brick, and then horizontal siding on the sides. It's a matter of what you want to see "pop". You have great landscaping.........so perhaps you want the roof to be more neutral so as to spotlight the plant growth. The brick in front is kind of an eye catcher that leaves a gaping hole in front there. Perhaps painting it the color of the rest of the house would make your house look bigger. I'm more inclined to go with the Tamko weathered wood.........it will make your house stand out against your neighbors and be more neutral so you can give your house more curb appeal. Just an opinion though.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #6

OK, I spent a lot of time trying different combinations of roof colors, styles and trim colors.

So far I think this looks the best: Desert Tan roof, changed the trim around the brick and different color on the storm door. I know the white door stands out a little too much, but I'm not looking to change that right now since I spent almost $3,000 on the door and installation a few years ago (I know it sounds like a lot, but there's a lot of stained glass and gold etching behind the wreath).

What do you think?

Last edited by ChitChat; 09-19-2012 at 01:37 PM.
ChitChat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:03 AM   #7
Exterior Construction

Looks pretty good!
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #8

I see an opening skylight, must get warm upstairs in the summer; http://www.professionalroofing.net/a...2/feature2.asp

Gary
Old 02-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #9

Tamko colors are very misleading on their website, and their samples. I have to tell so many people that are led to believe "weathered wood" is mostly a brown color.. It is NOT. Weathered wood is a gray with slight, slight hints of brown. You will really only see brown when it rains or right around sunset. But in the middle of the day, weathered wood is gray on steroids..
If you are looking for a brown tamko, don't go for weathered wood. Try rustic slate.
Hopemsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #10
Roofmaster

I would always go with a neutral like light Gray. I went with Pewter and Certainteed Landmark Shingles. With Gray, you can paint your shutters any color you want and it will change the appearance of your house. Some colors place your roof as being done in a specific period. Like the name Jennifer.

Gray does not do that. Nor does it show Black Algae like the lighter colors. AR is only good for a few years.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #11
JOATMON

Seeing how this is an old thread...I'm assuming the OP already has the roof done.....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #12
registered

Certainteed landmark mission brown OR a OC duration shingle. They have the best looking shadow lines on the market.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #13

Indeed, I'm sure the roof is done..

I'm just making it viral that weathered wood is a blend of grays with less than 10 percent brown mixed in. There is a lot of confusion as to the true look of weathered wood arch shingles...

Hopemsu is offline   Reply With Quote