DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Did I get taken???? Roof and soffit/eaves

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Roofmaster417 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought a small two bedroom house with two additions built without building permits and have been trying to fix many problems. The first main problem I had to address was the five year old roof. Water was leaking in most of the rooms on the main floor. It cost me 7,400. for the roof and 1,022 for the soffit and eaves. The width of the house is approx. 30 ft and though I know I don't know much, I did know there is no eaves. My contractor said he would reduce the price by 400. since his sub contractor forgot that part. I don't think there is any vents in the soffit so I'm wondering, if the previous five year old roof fell apart because there was not any ventilation, won't the same thing happen again? And is his bill reasonable.

#3 ·
Pictures----outside and in the attic---vented properly,you should see light coming into the attic from the soffits.

It's kind of late now,but you should have insisted that he correct his mistake---and then paid him the $400--Mike---

#4 ·
What did your written contract state that he was going to be doing to the soffits/eaves?

It really depends on what you and the contractor agreed to have done.

It's hard to say if $ 400.00 is a fair and just compensation or not for an error in the wording of the contract language.

What did the other contractors who estimated a scope of work for your home have to say about similar renovations to your home?

Ed

#5 ·
Some pics would be good,,,as mentioned.I would find it a little dificult to believe the roof fell apart due to inadequate ventilation as much as a "Bubba Gump " install.Most of the time IMO when permits are avoided its shot from the start.There is a reason permits are avoided and yours could be the result,obviously this post might not be here had laws been followed
by application for permits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.