Decking Over Shake Shingles - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2011, 01:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Decking over shake shingles

All,
I have an older two story home (1700 sq ft) that I will be selling in a short time. Ever since I have owned this home I have had an issue with water penetrating around the chimney. I had the chimney flashing replaced. I also tuck-pointed the chimney. I also treated the bricks with a water repellent (celexane pd). Now it seems the roof is leaking around the ridge.

My question to you is how best to fix this? This roof is STEEP, too steep to walk so I will not be doing the work. The roof has a couple layers of shingles on it and from the look in the attic they are over shake shingles (3" one by strapping not the normal OSB deck). I didn't know that you could apply asphalt shingles over shakes but it looks like that is what was done. Should I have someone replace the cap? What has to be done to install sheeting and put on a new roof? I don't want to spend a ton of money on this home but I don't want to sell it with a known issue either. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks!
D

Advertisement

debo-0126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:28 AM   #2
Shut in w/o Home

Rewards Points: 500

The leak would be hard to diagnose without pictures.

What has to be done to install sheeting and put on a new roof? I don't want to spend a ton of money on this home

The existing layers have to be torn off. It won't be cheap.

Advertisement

seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:35 AM   #3
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,038

Just take it down to the original sheathing and either put shakes back on, or plywood and shingles.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:35 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

I have exactly the same situation. When I bought the house there were several layers of asphalt over cedar shingles---uneven and ugly but the roof didn't leak.

When the upper layer of shingles finally wore out I had it all torn off and new asphalt shingles put on the roof. Then it started leaking around the chimney.

We have tried everything except waterproofing the brick. So I think the problem is not necessarily because of the cedar shingles.
NancyNGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
RFN-4A-LVN

Rewards Points: 500

Shakes were great back in the day.They require lots of up keep and some insurance companies won't cover a shake roof anymore.When installing a roof over the shakes it weakens them.Even though you fasten in the proper areas of the shingle your covering with,they will not stay sucure for long.Add a couple more layers over that then it weakens any fasteners regardless of length.

Some insurance companies have refused coverage until the roof is redecked.

IMO redecking with 7/16" O.S.B and installing a nice 30yr shingle is much more cost effective than going back with shakes.

The plywood will be installed over the existing structure.Make sure your contractor cuts the plywood on the truss and if thats not possible because of warped or settled trusses use H-clips.

If you sell the home with the roofs condition as is them you most likely will have to deduct the roof from the overall price.That opens the door for someone having some control in your selling situation.

I would replace the roof and add some overall price to your profit margin.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 03-27-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote