Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2009, 10:52 AM   #1

Share |

Damp problem/leak

Hi

Whilst clearing out our loft I have noticed a damp patch at the apex of one of the roof trusses. It looks as if there could be a minor leak in the roofing felt but I can't see any gaps through it when I look with a torch.

Can anyone hazard a guess at the likely problem ? For context the roof construction is trussed rafters - early 1980's construction. I've attached a few photos of it.

My best guess was that a ridge tile might be loose - however from outside nothing seems to be seriously out of place.

I'm concerned of possible structural problems with the roof if I don't get this sorted quickly.

Any ideas about what might be wrong or the best first step in finding out would be greatly appreciated

John
Attached Thumbnails
Damp problem/leak-dscn0481.jpg   Damp problem/leak-dscn0483.jpg  
Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:48 PM   #2

Damp problem/leak

The trussed rafter may have penetrated the felt, and the ridge tile above could have moved slighty away from the mortar joint leaving enough of a crack for water to come in.
stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote