Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2008, 02:05 AM   #1

Share |

Damp Patch Chimney Breast

I currently have a damp patch in our bedroom on the side of the chimney breast. It seems to have started near the back wall but is visible on the ceiling and back wall.

I have had two roofers look at the flashings around the chimney, one wanted to replace the whole lot and the other quoted for pulling the flashings away re pointing behind and around them.

Having been up looking at the flashings previously i opted for the repair as i knew they weren't in as bad condition as the first roofer said.

I'm not 100% sure but i think water may still be coming in but obviously it will take time for the damp patch too dry out.

Our Chimney is on a gable end so flush with the wall. One thing the first roofer said is that when water runs down the chimney wall (on the gable end) it could be getting behind the fascia board. Now obviously the chimney has the back gutter flashing and the two sides but on a chimney like this is it supposed to have a flashing strip accross the front to direct water running down the wall into the gutter ?

Our gable end was rebuilt a couple of years ago by the previous owners and I'm wondering if this has been missed off ?

If it makes it any clearer i can post photos.

Thanks

Mark

Mark_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
Residential Roofer

Sorry, I would like to see a pic before commenting being i'm somewhat unsure of the situation as you have explained it.

Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:41 PM   #3
home improvement guru

+1, pics will definitely help also check out http://www.fixthehome.com/cat/roofing/topics/flashings/ if you want some more opinions.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 10-25-2008 at 07:04 AM. Reason: Site Rules Violation: Business Web link Removed
aaron.klimchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:52 PM   #4
Doing This Way Too Long

yes, pictures would make this pretty easy I believe.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote