Cutting Metal Gutter In Place On 2nd Story - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2014, 11:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

cutting metal gutter in place on 2nd story

I am building up the outer surface of a chimney by approximately 1-3/4". The chimney intersects the gutters on the 2nd story roof line, so the gutters on either side of the chimney terminate with end cap when they get to the chimney. To build out the surface, the gutters will need to be cut back by the thickness I am adding to the chimney (1-3/4"). So here is the question.

How to cut off 1-3/4" of the gutters while the gutters are in place without mangling them and damaging everything around it?

thanks - Tim

Advertisement

hardmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:28 PM   #2
Metal Roofing

Rewards Points: 552

Tin snips

Advertisement

AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Dremel with a cutoff wheel works wonders. Also might try an oscillating multi-tool with metal cutting blade. Good luck!
Old 08-13-2014, 09:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 194

+1 on snips, and it'll be easier if you loosen a few spikes/hangers nearby first.
PatChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:58 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 12

Lightfoot - I'm thinking the same way you are re: oscillating tool. I have Fein Multimaster and yesterday I bought a 2" diameter metal cutting blade so I can work from inside or outside the gutter to make the cut. I am thinking this will result in a cut a lot less ragged and will be safer/easier to handle while on the ladder. I also like the idea of loosening a few spikes to be able to pull the gutter away from the fascia board a little. This will aid in cutting and reduce the amount of "through cut" into the board behind the gutter.

Since I only need about 2" of length cut off, I think I'll cut off the last 6" from the end cap (to give me room to work with the siding etc), and then maybe I will luck out and be able to just place the old end cap butted up to the new siding surface and overlap the 2" of extra length into the remainder of the gutter in place and seal it. May have to do some trimming to make that work or I might have to cut off that overlap and butt joint the cut edges and epoxy them together???? We will see.

Any ideas on how to make this work better, I'm all ears!
hardmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:08 PM   #6
Metal Roofing

Rewards Points: 552

I think what your proposing would work, normally I wouldn't recommend a MM but if you have one may as well use it. Any time I can use mine I will, they are not exactly cheap and the more I use it the more can justify its cost. You can overlap the gutter, but I think the best idea is to just replace the end cap with a new one...they are cheap.

Advertisement

AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote