Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2013, 12:22 AM   #1

Share |

Cut into portion of garage pitched roof to make a deck.

I have a pretty simple cape with an attached garage. I want to cut into the garage roof and remove the rafters for half the sloped roof, add a sliding door and create a deck out of the space. Has anybody seen this done before? Are there any gotchas you can think of? I already figured I would do the following.

*Cut into the south side of the roof's rafters and reinforce the existing sloped roof portion on the south side.
*Pitch the flat portion the roof for drainage.
*Install 3/4" plywood (deck subfloor).
*Install a vinyl waterproof membrane.
*Install sliding door
*Install railings

I'm wondering if this will severely weaken the portion of sloped roof remaining and how to best reinforce. Or perhaps this is a really bad idea?
It would be great to have another way to get outside from the second floor. I'd really like to make a deck there.

Please see photo here.

http://www.netsockets.com/homeimprovementideas/

Your feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks.

netsockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:12 AM   #2

Cut into portion of garage pitched roof to make a deck.

Welcome to the Forum!

you may want to edit your profile to include you location. this sometimes help in providing answers to questions. I could not view your photo.

what you propose is not difficult if done properly. this involves more than just cutting off a roof and throwing down a deck. I'd recommend hiring a professional engineer to design the structure for you. as you stated the remaining roof must be supported. one way of doing this is by installation of a ridge beam. depending on your ground snow loads and location you'll have to account for these loads on your deck and must determine how to support the deck. a lot of structural design would be required for this type of project.

now the simple question, why would you want a deck over your garage when you could built a deck next to your garage? don't have to worry with water getting into your garage. you could add a dormer if you need access from the area above the garage. It would be a lot simpler in my opinion to add a deck next to the garage than ripping your garage apart. does that make sense?

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote