Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-20-2013, 02:54 PM   #1

Share |

Curled edge repair + fascia install

The house I recently bought has a 2yr old roof that was installed by the previous owners. Unfortunately when they installed the roof they neglected to nail the drip edge to the fascia. This, combined with gutter guards that were wedged between the drip edge and the gutter, has caused the edge of the roof to curl upwards in a number of places, with the drip edge and shingles moving upwards together.

Also, the gutters were installed in front of the drip edge, causing most rainwater to run down the fascia instead of into the gutter. The fascia is painted wood, no aluminum/vinyl.

So, what I would like to do is the following:

1. Remove the gutters
2. Install aluminum fascia all around
3. Reinstall gutters (before I nail down drip edge? so I can get them behind?)
4. Fix the curling shingles and nail down the drip edge
- This is the big question, how do I fix the curling shingles? Will I have to replace the first row, or is it possible that heat (warm day, heat gun?) will flatten them out?

Does this seem like the right things to be doing? I have no experience with roof work but am willing to learn... is this something I can take on myself or should I hire a professional? Probably what worries me most is if a row of shingles had to be replaced.

Last edited by wonruger; 05-20-2013 at 03:12 PM.
wonruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #2

Curled edge repair + fascia install

Really could use a picture.
I've never nail a drip edge to the fashia.
Since it's wood you sure they did not just replace some of it and pushed it up to high.