Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Curb-mount for skylight: 2 replace or not 2 replace?

We have a 29-yr old curb-mounted skylight on a small townhouse. The roof is about to be replaced because a tree fell into it. The roofing professional is great. He has good reviews on Angie's List, he provided a fair price, and he seems reliable.

It seems most logical to replace the skylight now. The only trouble is that he is working with a new supplier and he wants to install a new skylight with which he does not have experience. This roofer does not like skylights. In addition, the skylight has to be custom made in Florida. Meanwhile, the roof needs to be replaced very soon because of the tree damage.

The curb is old (not sure if it is wood or metal). The roof presently has about 13 square of standard asphalt shingles with a pitch of about 12/6. Can the old curb be reused if new flashing is applied? If so, then could the new curb-mounted skylight be installed at another time after the new roof? What are your thoughts? Thank you!

Last edited by 5tudent; 10-21-2012 at 12:09 PM.
5tudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Why does it need to be custom made?

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

I'm confused. If you installed one skylight, you've installed them all.

Personally I prefer deck mounted skylights but with a curb all he needs to do is some minor framing for it. If he's experienced, it should be a walk in the park.
ParagonEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Why does it need to be custom made?
The roofer said the skylight is a special size that is not commonly stocked. The measurement of the drywall inside within the curb is approximately 44-1/2 in. long by 18 in. wide.

The roofer's salesman had measured the curb up on the roof and said it was 4 ft. by 2 ft.

At this point, it's tempting to just leave the old skylight and deal with it later just to get the roof work done soon. What do you think?
Old 10-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParagonEx View Post
I'm confused. If you installed one skylight, you've installed them all.

Personally I prefer deck mounted skylights but with a curb all he needs to do is some minor framing for it. If he's experienced, it should be a walk in the park.

That's good to know. Do you always replace the curb when you install a new skylight?
Old 10-21-2012, 08:04 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tudent

That's good to know. Do you always replace the curb when you install a new skylight?
Yes. We do when we do curb mounted skylights. It truly does not take very long.

If you have the ability to get deck mounted skylights, I suggest you do that.
ParagonEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

The skylights I prefer are situational, in most cases I prefer to build my own curbs. Why? Because retrofit nothing ever seems to fit quite right and if I build my own curb I have a little bit of wiggle room to make sure things fit as they should. Also it's easier to repalce a curb mounted skylight without making any changes to the roof assembly than it is to replace a deck mounted.

At the end of the day we are talking about a couple hundred bucks in material and a couple hundred in time, build a new curb. I, as a roofing contractor, specifically exclude all pre existing materials from my warranty, this would include the curb. Having said that if the curb is in good shape I won't replace it because what could possible go wrong with a curb? I know, I just contradicted myself. Unless there has been leakage etc... The curb flashing is of the utmost importance, while skylight is secondary importance. What I mean really is the roof is more likely to leak from the flashing than from the skylight its' self.

Paragon, why do you feel the deck mounted is superior? I only install the deck mounted if it is a new construction or WE are the ones cutting the opening.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,480

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Paragon, why do you feel the deck mounted is superior? I only install the deck mounted if it is a new construction or WE are the ones cutting the opening.
I think that is the key....new construction....

Curb mount has the advantage of the opening size being less critical if your off a little...with deck mounted...needs to be spot on if you want the drywall to look right.

I prefer deck....curb mounted ones look ugly sticking up so high

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 09:27 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
I prefer deck....curb mounted ones look ugly sticking up so high
Ummmmm? Build a shorter curb? A curb the same height as the deck mounted's built in curb? What is it 3"? You can build a curb t oany height you want. We typically use 2x4 (3 1/2") on shingle roofs and 2x8 or 2 x10 on flat roofs. But you can rip that to any height you want.

We don't do alot of new construction, in fact I almost never bid it because it is a waste of my time when subs are doing work for cheeseburgers plus materials. Last week, I sold my first new construction in 5 years scheduled to start in December.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
skylight curb