Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2009, 01:17 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Cricket for sidewall chimney?

Hello, I have side wall chimney that cuts through the soffit. Actually only about 18 inches of it cuts through, see the attached pic, above the arrow. My siding guy is out there now and he's asking me how I am going to divert the water away from the chimney.....ugh, don't know!

It's a 4/12 pitch on the roof. Like I said b4 about 18 inches of chimney cuts into the roof. We were looking at it last night and cricket just doesn't seem to make sense because it's on the edge of the roof, but I need to somehow divert the water so that it goes around the chimney and not off the edge, right? The chimney is about 8 ft from the ridge.

What's the proper solution here? Note that the chimney is going to have vinyl siding on it. Do we use tall flashing on that top edge and let the water run right into it?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, by me and my siding guy.
Attached Thumbnails
Cricket for sidewall chimney?-untitled.jpg  

kindejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

there is not going to be much water going to run down that area of the roof. What I would do is install a layer of ice and water under the existing roof shingles and up the side of the chim. then install alum or copper flashing 12 " up the roof and 12" up the chim. wall pitch it slightly back toward the main roof. you don't want it to drain off the edge. BOB

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:40 PM   #3

Yeah, it's pretty close to the ridge, so there will not be too much water at any 1 time. Can you please explain this to me more...wall pitch it slightly back toward the main roof. you don't want it to drain off the edge. That is my real problem How do I get the water to go towards the roof vs. over the edge. Thanks
kindejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 02:11 PM   #4
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

when u install the flashing lift it at the rake side and lower at the back of the chim.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote