DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Roofing/Siding (
-   -   Cracked roof decking (

Beancal 03-31-2012 11:37 PM

Cracked roof decking
We are selling our home and the buyer's inspector found a cracked board in the roof decking of our 1938 home. He said it should be blocked as needed form the under side. What does this mean and would could we expect in cost. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks - Need to sell.

joecaption 04-01-2012 12:13 AM

No pictures, not much info so it's anyones guess.
A house that old was built before plywood or OSB so they used 1 X 6's. It was common to have a weak area where a knot or flaw in the wood was to have it fail.
Pretty simple job to remove the shingles and tar paper in that area, cut out the bad board and replace, add new tar paper and install new shingles.
Keep in mind I can only guess since there's not enough info.

OldNBroken 04-01-2012 02:56 AM

Or just block it from underneath and toenail into the rafters

Windows on Wash 04-01-2012 06:09 PM


Originally Posted by OldNBroken (Post 889539)
Or just block it from underneath and toenail into the rafters

This would be the easier and less disturbance way to fix the board.

AndyWRS 04-02-2012 10:53 PM

If its is just a broken 1x6 i would block it from the attic as mentioned. Price is hard to say because we lack some details, i would ball park it at $150-$250. $150 if your on the street i am working on or near:) , But most likely i would expect someone to charge $200 maybe $250.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 PM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.