Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

crack in the ceiling is spreading and afraid

the piece of drywall or whatever it is will fall. I have a mobile home with peaked shingle roof outside and peaked ceiling inside. There is evidence that there is leaking, most likely due to ice buildup over time. i have been told that i should take the piece out from the inside and see what needs fixed inside. whats the best way to take it out and the basic framework i need to know. i'm a basic diy but have never touched ceiling stuff. i have some tools to work with.

brenda o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:44 PM   #2
RFN-4A-LVN

Its a total waste of time and money if the leak isn't targeted and fixed.It would be sad to lead you through the process only to have your work in vain.The correct terminology for your ceiling is vaulted.I understand that money is tight.If you have a stomped or textured ceiling the first time DIY'r might have a problem cutting the piece out,scraping,taping then finishing then texturing.It would be a shame to go through all that effort for nothing.This site is full of interior guru's that could walk a sinner out of hell..(so to speak) My first order of business would be to pin point (FOR SURE)your leak. Like I said plenty of interior wizards at your service.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 01-25-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:57 PM   #3

how funny is that, good call. you are so right about this site being awesome, i was able to put my wood floor in with the help from you guys back to the roof though, hmmm. i know that i need to have the roof reshingled and done because I have probably three areas where i can see water spots that aren't even close to each other. I was thinking that reroofing? would take care of those problems. the inside crack problem definately has a board or something behind that splitting drywall that needs fixed/replaced. i was hoping to open it up from the inside and fixing that part first rather than have the roofer do it from the outside. i imagine that i am getting ahead of myself with re-doing the ceiling until the roof is redone. ....except for that one area? i so want to tear it down, even just to see in there.,,,,demo trouble
Old 01-26-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
RFN-4A-LVN

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenda o View Post
how funny is that, good call. you are so right about this site being awesome, i was able to put my wood floor in with the help from you guys i so want to tear it down, even just to see in there.,,,,demo trouble
Another problem with just rippin' r down is if its not put back then you and your family are breathing those harmful toxins in.I have never been able to properly fix a roof structure problem "with" the roof still on.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 01-26-2011 at 09:27 PM. Reason: reboog a m'I
Old 01-28-2011, 04:30 PM   #5

toxins..... i will leave it alone until i have more info, thanks
Old 01-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
RFN-4A-LVN

Yep all kinds of little nasties just waiting to invade your respratory system.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #7

Before I ripped it down, I would be tempted to cut a little peeky hole into the problem area to see what's going behind it and try to get a grasp on the scope of repair.

It sounds like your more immediate need it to alleviate the ice buildup along your roof edges. This can be easily accomplished by raking the snow off the roof with a roof rake so it doesn't build up to the point where it is backing water up under the shingles. This winter has been a particular bad one for snow and ice buildup coupled with prolonged freeze and thaw cycles at least here in upstate NY.

I have climbed up onto a ladder and broken up ice dams with a hammer and star drill but do not reccommend it. Extreme caution must be used to prevent damage to the roof. Caution in using a roof rake is important as well. Be sure to avoud power lines and rake lightly and carfully to avoid roof damage.

The trouble with mobile home roofs is that they shingle them to give them a stick-built house look but they usually do not have an adaquate pitch for a shingled roof. Low slope roofing should be used instead. When you go to replace the roof. they will probably reccommend appropriate roofing and adaquate ice and water shield.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 10:31 PM   #8

and that is what happened. In addition to that crack, I had water coming into the bathroom and closet- both on the same wall. I had some of the ice removed, enough to stop the leak. I contacted my insurance company. I would like to have them cover the cost of the repairs to the flooring and the area the water came in at. Do you think they will cover the cost of repairing the roof? I want to do the whole roof and would be happy with any funds they would cover. Anyone have experience in this area? Of what they will cover? I do have water damage coverage so she said the claim would be submitted. I just havent heard anything yet and would like a heads up on what I should be saying. I don't know if walls are an issue or not. And, I am thinking of going with the steel roof in place of the shingles that are on it now. Common sense tells me do the roof first but is there any part of the interior I could be working on until warm weather arrives? And.. mobile home is 16 by 76. Any idea of very rough estimate for steel roof? Thanks so much.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:32 PM   #9

and what is ice/water shield?
Old 02-04-2011, 10:41 PM   #10

one more question with the cracked ceiling. I have popcorn ceiling UCK.... and I am wondering about replacing the drywall, obviously where the crack is but am I better off replacing the drywall throughout for all new start., or should I just replace drywall sheets in the areas where there is cracking, water spot, ect. I would like to use that "light" version of the drywall so once popcorn is removed, re-mud all after new drywall is up, or easier to replace all and start over? any idea on work time, costs, ect? Thanks again
Old 02-04-2011, 10:59 PM   #11
RFN-4A-LVN

Quote:
I contacted my insurance company. I would like to have them cover the cost of the repairs to the flooring and the area the water came in at. Do you think they will cover the cost of repairing the roof? I want to do the whole roof and would be happy with any funds they would cover. Anyone have experience in this area? Of what they will cover? I do have water damage coverage so she said the claim would be submitted.
I would be leary of filing a claim on just your interior.The reason I say that is many variables come into play.

1.)How much is your deductible?
2.)What year was your mobile home manufactured?
3.)How much damage was caused?
4.)Have you had any other claims recently?
5.)Have you had a legitimate roofer look at your roof?
6.)Is your roofer either capable or willing to help you with your claim?
7.)Do you have a replacement cost policy? RCV
8.)Do you have an ACV policy(Actual Cash Value) No REC DEP
9.)Insurance companies to my knowledge won't pay for roof aging.

In my opinion and experience insurance companies really don't pay enough for leaks to justify a claim on interior alone,unless the damage is substantial and or the roof is replaced as well.From my experience if your home is older and your roof is the same then typically the insurance company will depreciate it quite a bit.Is it possible for you to handle repairs out of pocket? The reason I ask is if your insurance company finds no damage to your roof and pays for resealing or a repair and they give you $1500 and your deductible is $1000 then you are left with $500 to do the repairs.I would suggest having a qualified professional roofing contractor assist you in this endeavor.You need one thats reputable and knowledgeable with the insurance aspect pertaining to roofing.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 02-04-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:39 PM   #12
RFN-4A-LVN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofmaster417 View Post
I would be leary of filing a claim on just your interior.The reason I say that is many variables come into play.

1.)How much is your deductible?
2.)What year was your mobile home manufactured?
3.)How much damage was caused?
4.)Have you had any other claims recently?
5.)Have you had a legitimate roofer look at your roof?
6.)Is your roofer either capable or willing to help you with your claim?
7.)Do you have a replacement cost policy? RCV
8.)Do you have an ACV policy(Actual Cash Value) No REC DEP
9.)Insurance companies to my knowledge won't pay for roof aging.

In my opinion and experience insurance companies really don't pay enough for leaks to justify a claim on interior alone,unless the damage is substantial and or the roof is replaced as well.From my experience if your home is older and your roof is the same then typically the insurance company will depreciate it quite a bit.Is it possible for you to handle repairs out of pocket? The reason I ask is if your insurance company finds no damage to your roof and pays for resealing or a repair and they give you $1500 and your deductible is $1000 then you are left with $500 to do the repairs.I would suggest having a qualified professional roofing contractor assist you in this endeavor.You need one thats reputable and knowledgeable with the insurance aspect pertaining to roofing.
The only reason I would be leary is if you had to make another claim in the near future.It is your choice overall.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 02-07-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #13

thanks so much! i will think about all this.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:52 AM   #14

well the roofer has been out to see what specifically is going on. there may be a cracked or broken rafter and fear that a part of the exterior wall has collapsed, all due to ice damming. estimated repairs to the tune of 11,000 and the insurance adjuster has been here as well, waiting to see his proposal. obviously, a huge endevour, way beyond a DYI, thanks for the professional advise.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #15
RFN-4A-LVN

Quote:
well the roofer has been out to see what specifically is going on. there may be a cracked or broken rafter and fear that a part of the exterior wall has collapsed, all due to ice damming. estimated repairs to the tune of 11,000 and the insurance adjuster has been here as well, waiting to see his proposal. obviously, a huge endevour, way beyond a DYI, thanks for the professional advise.
Cool, I always recommend having a contractor present during roof inspections,or having one inspect prior.Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to Roofmaster417 For This Useful Post:
brenda o (02-13-2011)