Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2012, 03:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Angry

Cowboy roofer?

Morning,
I have just had a small roof built on my porch - sloping, double hip. The roofer has taken two attempts to get anywhere near an acceptable standard - he had to take it all off once!
Anyway, there are still a few problems outstanding
  1. There's a gap between two adjacent tiles which he has filled with a 5-8mm bead of clear silicon. Is this ever acceptable practice?
  2. The gutter isn't properly sloped - puddles about 1/2" deep form at the corners, and result in a very small drip from one corner
  3. Where the fascia butts up to the vertical wall of the house he hasn't shaped it (it meets where the render ends) so there's a reasonably large gap
I don't know if I'm just being fussy here - he brought his Dad round, who says I am just "nit-picking", but I am paying for a proper job and don't think I should be forced to accept sub-standard work.

Have a look at the pictures and let me know what you think...

Thanks,

Ian
Attached Thumbnails
Cowboy roofer?-fascia.jpg   Cowboy roofer?-siliconed-gap.jpg  

ianbamforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #2
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,016

Cowboy roofer?

Tile never gets caulked like that. I need better pix of the wall flashing before rendering judgement.
Fascia gap is wrong.
I have no experience with pvc gutters. Not even sure that roofing supply houses even sell them since I've never checked either.

tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Cowboy roofer?

Can you post a few more pics from further back showing the whole roof?
stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,016

Cowboy roofer?

I didn't mention it, but it appears that the caulked tile(s) aren't properly lapped together. They appear to be incorrectly installed. Whatever the reason, caulk isn't the answer.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:22 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 524

Cowboy roofer?

You roof things once....don't hire the same guy to do it twice. Find someone else.

The fascia doesn't bother me..... I suppose he could have ran the trim all the way to the end, but it isn't hurting anything the way it is.

The tile is concerning. I'd like to know why it was done that way and get an explanation from the installer and then have someone else do it.

Was this roofer suppose to do the gutters too or were you assuming he would? I worked for a roofing company and we rarely did gutter work, unless we were asked to do something about them.

Last edited by cibula11; 05-04-2012 at 08:25 PM.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
Metal Roofing

Rewards Points: 536

Cowboy roofer?

I would wager he is a handyman and not a roofer.

The caulked seam is incorrect.
The lead flashing on the wall is incorrect
The gutter needs more pitch.
The fascia tie in to the main house is incorrect. It is sloppy imo, it could have been a lot better with just a little effort.

I would question if your underlayment is even correctly installed by the look of his other work, if he even used any. This is his second time around...just how bad was the first go around. He also didnt appear to learn anything from round 1 it is still has issues.

Depening on how much you paid him, i would either cut him loose and find a qualified roofer or hold his $ until its correct. If you paid him already then you are probably sol, i doute he will fix anything.

Last edited by AndyWRS; 05-05-2012 at 09:36 AM.
AndyWRS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cowboy, roofer