Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2007, 08:47 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Counter flashing where roof meets vertical brick wall

Hello All,

Does anyone have a good picture that describes how to flash a roof that meets a vertical brick wall?

Thanks!

sandyman720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

like the front of this chimney the lower flange goes over the roofing that meets the chimney,the top of the counter flashing is inserted into a reglet(line cut 1/4" deep in mortar w/diamond blade)and then the top of the flashing is finished w/mortarseal,or similar sealant,if it`s not mortar/brick wall,remove lower siding,install apron flashing to wall,and re-install siding over the top of the apron flashing,sorry smiley was supposed to be at the end of the sentence(???)lol
Attached Thumbnails
Counter flashing where roof meets vertical brick wall-copper-chimney5.jpg  

the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:01 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by the roofing god View Post
like the front of this chimney the lower flange goes over the roofing that meets the chimney,the top of the counter flashing is inserted into a reglet(line cut 1/4" deep in mortar w/diamond blade)and then the top of the flashing is finished w/mortarseal,or similar sealant,if it`s not mortar/brick wall,remove lower siding,install apron flashing to wall,and re-install siding over the top of the apron flashing,sorry smiley was supposed to be at the end of the sentence(???)lol
Roofing God: I currently had a same situation where my sunroom was attached and flashed to the side of my brick wall on the house. It leaked. I had a roofer suggest the same thing re: cutting into the brick to insert the flashing instead of what the builder did which was lay the flashing flat against the brick and then caulk the flashing. My question is should I seal the brick wall above where my roofer is going to fix the problem. Would that help in repelling water? Your talking a 15 x 6 foot section of brick . Thanx for your help
tallpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 11:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallpaw View Post
Roofing God: I currently had a same situation where my sunroom was attached and flashed to the side of my brick wall on the house. It leaked. I had a roofer suggest the same thing re: cutting into the brick to insert the flashing instead of what the builder did which was lay the flashing flat against the brick and then caulk the flashing. My question is should I seal the brick wall above where my roofer is going to fix the problem. Would that help in repelling water? Your talking a 15 x 6 foot section of brick . Thanx for your help
Actually: anybody can ring in here that knows if sealing my brick wall is a good idea ?? Thanx, tallpaw
tallpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:40 PM   #5

In response to tallpaw's question (though it's way too late to help him perhaps). From what I've read, sealing is usually only a short term solution to a water sepage problem on a particular wall of a brick house. The usual condensation that forms behind a brick wall should make its way out through weep holes and through the porous brick itself. They do make brick sealants, however, which are classified as films and penetrants. Films do not allow water trapped inside the brick to evaporate out the exterior side. Penetrants do. Here's a good link (about half way down the page): http://www.doityourself.com/stry/brickfaqs
SagP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:13 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Sorry,never got the heads up.I would see that the wall was repointed as necessary

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote