Cost-effective Way On Dealing With Leaking Stucco? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2014, 01:42 PM   #1
t60

Rewards Points: 79

Cost-effective way on dealing with leaking stucco?

This past weekend there was some water penetrating through and dripping from the top of our bedroom window.

Here is an album with some pictures:
http://imgur.com/a/jP0FC/

We've had this issue ever since we moved in, and I think it has to do with poorly installed windows. We hired a GC a couple of years ago and they re-did the surrounding stucco on these windows, and the problem went away for two seasons, but the problem is back on this one (previously it was 4 windows that were leaking in high wind rain, but just this one now).

There is a bunch of caulk around the window too that got painted over by yours truly.

I was thinking of either replacing the window (to ensure it is installed correctly) and surrounding stucco, or just replace the surrounding stucco. We plan on keeping the house, but we are in our early 30s and like everyone else want a cost-effective solution as money doesn't grow on trees. I plan on getting the entire side of the house re-stuccoed in 5-10 years. The last picture shows the south side of my house that is in the worst condition.

Any thoughts?

Advertisement

t60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:16 PM   #2
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,824

The bad part is when water gets behind the stucco it stays. Is yours the real deal or the artificial stucco. I wish I had an answer for you but the siding pros here will have to help you on this one.

Advertisement

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 04:48 PM   #3
t60

Yeah that's what I figured =\

I'm pretty sure our studs are moist, but I tend to believe all houses in my area are the same way. Our homes were built in the late 50s, and looks like the original stucco to me, so the real deal.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:03 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 145

Remove old caulking and re-caulk with a tri-polymer or urethane based caulk.
roofermann is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to roofermann For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (03-06-2014)
Old 03-06-2014, 07:35 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,290

+1

No real effective way to do that but with sealant.

The windows should have had drip caps on them but it it too late for that now.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 08:38 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 660

No over hang on the roof, no Z moulding over the windows, wet inside the walls.
This is not going to get any cheaper by waiting to open those walls up.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:37 AM   #7
t60

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
No over hang on the roof, no Z moulding over the windows, wet inside the walls.
This is not going to get any cheaper by waiting to open those walls up.
Not that I disagree with you, but money doesn't grow on trees. I still have aluminum wiring in my house, but am I going to spend 3-5k to fix it? Nope.

I remember asking for assistance with a roof leak I had a while back, and folks told me to start with a new roof which would have easily been 12-15k+. A contractor came out and fixed the issue for me under 3k. I feel like this is one of those situations.

You're right, there is no overhang on the roof. But none of my neighbors who have had their roofs done in the past 2 years with a 10+ year warranty installed overhangs on overhangs on this part of the roof (it's the rear of the house). So I don't think it's that.

If I had money, I'd probably just buy new construction and let the builder deal with any issues, but I don't. Like most people I have a 9-5 job and limited amounts of money to throw at problems like this.

And maybe you're right, the solution would be to re-do everything, but I guess anyone could have told me that. I don't like bandaid solutions, but it's better than nothing right now.

Any recommendations on sealant? I don't want to use the same crap I did last time
Old 03-06-2014, 08:53 PM   #8
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,290

t60,

Don't mind Joe too much. He just hates band-aid for real fixes.

The windows should have drip caps but you aren't getting them in there without cutting away stucco.

Clean out all the old caulking really well and use a good, high quality sealant. It will by you some time.

Are the walls wet on the inside?
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:01 PM   #9
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,626

Let me guess....California?

I'm guessing the flashing was not done right when the windows were installed. I just did a 2-story addition to my house....and while I don't get a whole lot of rain....I made sure my windows were flashed correctly...and the guy who did my stucco did an outstanding job of touching up any spots that were not perfect.

If you want an idea of how the flashing should be done...click on the link in my signature.

As for fixing your problem....it looks like your stucco is painted....that 'should' prevent rain water from getting in...but it also traps moisture from the inside.

I've done research on stucco....and it seems to be split 50/50....some say paint...some say let it breath.

You need to confirm that your issue is from the outside...or not.

If you have obvious leaks....fix them...

And those windows? That is what I 'used' to have....same exact ones....except they were brown. Replacing them was one of the best things I did.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #10
t60

Thanks for the responses. I'm definitely not happy about the windows, and I may have to looking into getting them replaced. One of my other bedroom window seals is leaking.

From the interior the border around the windows gets moist. The trim is starting to collect bacteria and get kind of gross, which makes me believe the window itself is broken. The wall area away from the windows is dry though.

And yes this is in Northern California.

I bought some sikaflex sealant and will take out the old caulking this weekend. To be honest I think I just spread a bunch of bathroom caulking last time (3+ years ago when I didn't know any better).
Old 03-31-2014, 05:05 PM   #11
t60

So I stripped out all of the old caulk, put some sikaflex on instead, and the leak is still there

I just looked at how they re-did the stucco a couple of years ago and it doesn't look like they put any flashing on the window. I will try to get a picture up tonight.

Advertisement